Chapter Six

“JACK!” I head as I shot up and hit my head on something hard. “Aghh. What the” I stammered. I opened my eyes and saw Kody was standing over screaming my name while her nose was bleeding. “Oh thank God. I thought you would never wake up” Kody shot out.

“Kody, what happened?” I asked. “You for one. You sat straight up and hit me in the nose with your head.” She answered.

“Sorry about that. But why were you screaming my name?” I questioned her. Her face looked pale, as if she had seen a ghost.

“Not now, later. Right now, we need to get moving. PRONTO!” she rushed

“Wha- Why? What's going on? I questioned confusingly as I began to gather my stuff together.

“Rotters!  They came out of nowhere. Your screaming must’ve drawn them towards us. Hurry. And take these” she said as she tossed my knives and pistol to me. I slid the knives into their sheaths and checked the ammo of the pistol. I noticed that three of the bullets were missing. “That’s odd.” I pondered in my head. “Why are three bullets missing?” I decided not to worry about it for now. I placed my pistol in its holster, then grabbed my backpack and slid it on. I got up as fast as I could handle.

“We need to leave now! We don’t have much time.” Kody yelled at me.

“I'm moving as fast as I can with this damned leg!” I quickly retorted.

“Well move FASTER!” she screamed. Something inside of me clicked. I rushed forward Kody pushing aside the pain and full on body slammed her to the ground. The rest was blur that I don’t remember, but she ended up on the ground, my knees pinning her arms down and my knife against her throat. “Quit. Yelling. At. Me.” I said coldly. “Yelling at me isn’t going to get me to move any faster and neither will screaming. You want me to go faster, well too bad. I'm going as fast as I can as is.” I said as I lifted the knife off of her throat and slid it back into its sheath.

“Okay. I'm sorry. But right now, we have to leave. Grab what you can, we’re leaving now.” Kody said as she rubbed her neck where my knife was placed.

“Okay. And I'm sorry about that, I don’t know what came over me.” I said as I helped her up. I limped over to where I had dropped my bag and picked it up. As I slid it on I glanced towards the fence, which just so happened to fall at that exact moment. “SHIT!” I screamed. “Kody. RUN. I’ll hold them off as long as I can” I shouted.

“But-“ Kody started.

“No. Just go. I’ll be fine. GO!” I interrupted. But instead of leaving, she ran towards me.

“I'm not just going to leave you here to die and become one of those things. I'm leaving and you’re coming with me. End of discussion. Now let’s move.” Kody demanded.

“Fine. Let’s go.” I said as we retreated. Even moving as fast as I could, we were barely ahead of the ever growing hoard.

“How well do you know the city?” I asked.

“I don’t know. Well enough. It’s big, and we’re in the east suburbs. That’s about it. Why?” Kody responded.

“Okay. Never mind. Just follow me. “I said quickly as I took the lead. I cut into a lawn and checked to make sure that Kody was following. I didn't see her. Then I heard a scream. I was paralyzed with fear. Then she came around the corner limping. “Kody. What happened? Are you bit?” I asked.

“No. I didn't get bit. I'm ok. I just twisted my ankle or something.” She replied. I let out a big sigh of relief. I quickly climbed over the fence behind me, and then opened the gate for Kody.

“Hurry Kody!” I yelled. Just then, one of the Rotters broke off from the rest of the hoard. It began to mover at speeds I had never seen Rotters move at before. “What the- hurry Kody.” I screamed as the Rotter was easily closing the fifteen some yards Kody had of a lead. She was less than ten yards away from me when it happened. Kody tripped. She fell over a Rotter that had long since been silenced.

“AGHH.” Kody screamed as she hit the ground hard.

“NO!” I screamed as I started towards her, but I knew I would never make it in time. The Rotter was on her before I could make it four yards. The Rotter fell towards her and moved towards her neck. Kody let out an ear splitting scream that pierced the moans of the dead. “NOO!”

~~Hey everybody. Sorry that it has been taking me so long to update. I just haven't been able to find the time until now. Well anyway. here's chapter six. I hope you enjoy. And as always. feel free to leave a comment or any ideas you might have. Thanks!!~~