Prologue

“What do you remember?" my father asked.

"What do you mean daddy?" I replied.

"What do you remember about the before time?” he said.

                “Oh I knew that. I remember that there were animals in the trees singing. Birdies right daddy” I said.

“Yes. That’s right Jack. Do you remember anything else?” my father asked with a raised brow.

                “Of course daddy.  I remember the kitties’ and doggies. And I remember the park. Mommy would sit and watch me while I played. Sometime she would push me on the swings” I gleamed. 

“The park. I remember that your mother loved to take you to the park. She would say that the walk was your favorite part. Do you remember the walk?” my father asked.

                “Yes. I remember that we would always pass Miss.Mayberry’s house. She would always have cookies for me and bread for me to feed to the birdies. Sometimes, the birdies would eat right out of my hands. It tickled” I said.

                “Miss.Mayberry was a nice lady wasn’t she. Do you remember your mother at all?” my father asked.

“Of course I do daddy. Don’t you?” asked his seven year old son, me. 

“Oh how could I not. She had the most beautiful blue eyes, long silky hair, and her smile was so contagious.  Oh how I miss her” my father wept.

                My father’s sobs filled the air as I tried to comfort my father like my mother had done for me. This only made him sob louder. Loud enough so that we could not hear the moans and groans of the dead that were steadily growing closer. When my father finally stopped weeping, and we heard the loud moans and groans of the dead. It was too late.

                 The fence that was surrounding us was easily knocked to the ground by the hoard of the dead. They began to pour out of the shadows. They reached my father first. The dead began to feast on him. He pulled out a gun and fired a few shots. “RUN” he screamed.

                I took off in the opposite direction from where he was. While running I got turned around and ended up by the fence that the dead had knocked down. The scene horrified me. My father laid there unmoving. I started towards the corpse. I wanted to stop, to turn around and run. But I couldn’t control myself. My legs kept carrying me closer and closer to my dead father.

                As I reached him his eyes began to twitch. I knew what was happening but I couldn’t move away. “Daddy. Daddy no” I whimpered as the figure that was once my father began to rise. As it began to rise my legs started backing up. “Please daddy. Please no” I cried out as I tripped over my uncontrolled legs.

                 As the hallow shell of my father staggered towards me I pleaded him to stop and to not hurt me. He tripped and landed on me.  He opened his mouth and moved to bite me. “AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH”