Prologue

Amber POV:

Emptying my side of the closet, I threw my clothes into the overflowing duffel bag. I glanced around the room. What else will I need? The flashlight under my bed caught my eye, and I grabbed it. Water? Check. Flashlight? Check. Snacks? Check. Clothes? Check. Pocket knife? Check. Money?

My stomach dropped and my body began to shake. I still needed money.

Swallowing hard, I cracked the door of the room open slowly and tiptoed silently to the kitchen. I held my breath with each step, my heartbeat pounding loudly in my ears. Don't make a sound.

If he woke up, there wouldn't be any escape.

This was my one chance, and I couldn't afford to blow it.

I found my dad's wallet on the counter and carefully opened it. I snatched a wad of cash with my trembling hands and my eyes found his credit card.

It would be so easy to take. You can't take that, or they'll be able to track you. I tore my eyes from the credit card and shoved the money into my pocket.

I crept back to my room and quietly picked up the bag. My eyes were drawn to my sleeping sister, wrapped up in blankets with a peaceful smile on her face. My heart sank and tears of guilt pooled in my eyes.

This was the part I'd been dreading.

I walked to the side of her bed before leaning over and placing a kiss on her forehead. "I love you and I'm so sorry," I whispered to her, my voice cracking.

Maybe she'll forgive me someday. Fat tears roll down my cheeks as I walk to the door.

Then again, if I were in her shoes, I don't think I would ever forgive me.

I glanced back at her one last time. "Goodbye Lyss." Before a sob could escape my lips, I shut the door behind me.

From there, I silently crept down the hallway to the front door. As I opened it, a crisp breeze hit my face, so that my hair stuck to my tear soaked cheeks. I closed my eyes and let my fear and sadness fall away until only a sense of freedom was left.

I made it out.

A smile crossed my lips as I breathed in a deep breath and stepped out into the night.