Chapter 4: His only helper.

HIS ONLY HELPER.

"Rida come on. You can't ignore me forever." He complained for the hundredth time and I spared him no attention.

"Bye Laila." I waved as I watched my friend get into her father's car after school, early that afternoon. She waved back, smiling from ear to ear. I looked around the parking ground once more for any sign of the car or Mr Shola but to no avail.

A frown wore on my face. He was going to be late again.

"You know you can take the bus home."

"Stop talking to me." I flared as I glanced his side once, unable to tolerate his annoying voice and unnecessary comments.

I walked away, heading back to the classroom.

"Believe me, Rida, I wish I could but I can't because you're the only one who can help me out. I don't think I have much time left."

I stopped and shifted my eyes to him.

"What do you mean by that?" I couldn't help but ask. I'm human after all.

He let out a light sigh, lowering his eyes for a minute.

"I'm dying. I can feel it. Somehow, I need to return to my body but I can't seem to do that. I... I need your help." His plea was honest and desperate. He had so much hope in his eyes. He glimpsed at me like I could make a difference and though it felt a bit good to be needed, I also felt this was... probably wrong in every way.

I scratched the back of my neck in irritation, turning properly to him.

"Assuming I do say yes to your request. What do you think comes next? I'm not a pastor or a shaman. I can't help you get back into your body."

"I know. I know but, you can help me in the part of communication."

I stood straight, narrowing my eyes at him and his last sentence. Great, he wants me to be a spokesperson between the dead and the living.

"We're not friends. We've never said hello to each other." I reminded him. He needed to know how messed up the situation is.

He stood straight, folding his arms across his chest.

"You mean you've never said hello to me."

What?

A light frown played on my face at his choice of words and rather an implication.

"Are you trying to say something?"

"Rida." I was quick to turn to the direction of the voice and saw Mrs Matthews walking up to me. Her expression entailed confusion and uncertainty. I had to smile or at least look normal.

She looked around before settling her gaze on me.

"Who were you talking to?"

I opened my mouth to speak the truth but a thought crossed my mind at how my answer might misinterpret my mental state so I shut it back to think of another reply.

"Myself. I do that sometimes. It keeps me in control." My reply didn't help matters either because she gave me a weird look and unexpectedly, she lightly shook her head, probably to forget whatever she might have seen or thought about the situation.

"Mr Shola just called. He's waiting in the parking grounds."

I nodded in accordance, thanked her and was fast on my heels out of her sight before she could ask any more questions.

Mrs Matthews was one of the few white teachers that taught at Montgomery. She was my class teacher and one of the nicest people I knew. She taught English and Literature and gave equal attention to every student. I like her but I'm scared in regards to her reaction if I ever told her the truth about seeing Bayo.

"Good afternoon Mr Shola." I greeted with a straight face as I got into the backseat of the car. He looked at me, an apologetic smile forming on his face.

"I'm sorry. I had to run an errand."

Drawing in a deep breath, I looked away, suppressing my anger.

"It's okay. Dad sent you." I added, glancing his side once with a simple smile drawn on my face even though I didn't mean it.

Mr Shola knew me well. He knew I didn't mean it but I couldn't simply be disrespectful and throw a tantrum so I'm to put up with it. He turned away and started the car.

A light chuckle made me turn my head to the side. Bayo had a smile on his face.

"Why are you here?" I queried having forgotten for a moment that he'd existed.

"What?" Mr Shola responded in thoughts of being the one I just spoke to.

"Nothing. I... nothing." I was quick to respond and his attention on me was gone once more.

I turned back to Bayo.

"You can't be here. You can't follow me home." I told him in a whisper, leaning a bit closer. He leaned closer as well.

"I have to. I don't have anywhere else to go." He whispered as well.

"Sure, you do. Go home." I spelt it out for him and watched as he leaned away.

"Wow, all I've said so far fell on deaf ears. Nevertheless, I have to stick with you."

"No, you don't. I don't want you following me home and..." I halted on whatever next I had to say. I leaned away, looking away from him and that's when I caught Mr Shola sparing glances at me through the rear-view mirror.

Great. He's going to think I'm insane and so will everyone else at home.

"How did you get into an accident?" I just had to ask as I turned to him. His expression went sour upon hearing my question.

"I don't know." His reply caused a light furrow between my brows and I watched as he shifted his eyes to me.

"I can't remember."