Chapter 8 - "Lotus Pier Part 1"

When he arrived at Cloud Recesses, Jiang Cheng was ready to snatch back his brother from Lan Er Gongzi, who never hid the fact he planned to lock up Wei Wuxian at Cloud Recesses. The majority elected Chief Cultivator, who Jiang Cheng didn't cast a vote for, immediately abused his powers by forbidding anyone from touching Yiling Laozu soon after he obtained the position.

The whole Cultivation World didn't bat an eye, and even if they did, the Chief Cultivator wouldn't have given a damn. An action that speaks louder than words.

Yet, with all HanGuang Jun's powers and authority, he still could not win the heart of the wayward rabbit who chose to run back to his burrow, Lotus Pier. The home Wei Wuxian could never deny. The playing field should be on Jiang Cheng's side.

As the Sect Leader of Yunmeng Jiang, he had all the intention for the situation to stay under his control, but it didn't take long for him to recall that when it comes to Wei Wuxian, it is simply impossible. Instead of packing his belongings and following Jiang Cheng back immediately, Wei Wuxian said he still has business to attend to and tells him to wait for his arrival.

He waited, and waited, but Wei Wuxian was still Wei Wuxian. Yiling Laozu didn't show up until after three days' time, and with an uninvited guest, fully aware of the host's disdain.

Jiang Cheng resisted his urge to growl at the unofficial cultivation pair in front of the entrance, but his objection was obvious when he grimmly asked, "Why is he here?"

Yiling Laozu had not improved the slightest from past or present, with the White Knight who is never far behind. It irks Jiang Cheng further when neither asks permission from the Sect Leader of Lotus Pier, not surprisingly, because when have they ever?

Wei Wuxian was all smiles as he explained, "Lan Zhan said he wants to visit my hometown. I promised him the lotus seeds here are better than those from other lotus lakes. He wouldn't believe me, so of course, I have to prove him wrong. Jiang Cheng, our reputation is at stake here. If the Chief Cultivator advertises our clan's lotus seeds, we can sell them for a higher price, bringing fortune to our Sect...."

Jiang Cheng's brows lifted at Wei Wuxian's usual rambling, his mind barely comprehending the logic behind the obvious excuse. Irritably, he remarked, "He can talk?"

"Of course he does! Say something Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian nudged the stoic man beside him.

"Mmm," HanGuang Jun answered emotionlessly, without the slightest hint of acknowledging the presence of the Sect Leader of Yunneng Jiang.

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes at the aloof response, and wondered if there was anything Lan Wangji won't do for his clueless brother. What's so obvious to the rest of the world, Wei Wuxian still remains deaf and blind to, remarkably even after he eavesdropped on them at Cloud Recesses. Could it be because he fell too many times from climbing trees as a kid?

"We have no extra room," Jiang Cheng habitually tried to argue, which never goes well for him, because he should know by now that Wei Wuxian always has his way.

"Lan Zhan can stay with me," Wei Wuxian offered cheerfully. Unaware that both men had stiffened, but of different natures.

"No need, we do have extra rooms," Jiang Cheng quickly informed.

"But, you just said we didn't," Wei Wuxian reminded him.

"I meant we didn't have one prepared yet," Jiang Cheng clarified between gritted teeth. "I didn't know we would have an extra guest."

"Just as I told Lan Zhan, Lotus Pier always has extra rooms. Now that our accommodations are resolved, can we see Wen Qing? Where is she now?"

Jiang Cheng hesitated, the subtle change was obvious to the brother who could always read him well. Wei Wuxian shortened their distance and grabbed on to his arm.