Chapter 9: Axe Counter! You've gotta fear this move

Shu Kurenai ~

"The semifinals will be conducted for three points. The first blader to obtain three points would be the winner. Ringout finishes and survivor finishes worth one point each, while burst finish means two points. Okay?" The referee explained us. (Y/n) and I nodded our heads in reply.

"First Battle!"

We both took our stances. While I was quite careful, (Y/n) took Flux Boost's stance. At least I know that Flux Boost is a counter-clockwise move so if she goes with clockwise, she wouldn't use it. Her right hand was holding the ripcord, so that implies Sparyon's speed will be fast from the beginning.

I need to think about it. If she's going with Flux Boost's stance, she'll definitely use it. But again, if the spin is clockwise, she wouldn't. That day when I battled her at her house, she didn't use her moves on me, so I don't even have any personal experience. I've only seen her moves when she battled the others. Maybe she hid them from me purposely, saving the real show for our big battle. Clever.

"Ready? Set!" Referee announced.

"Three...Two...One...LET IT RIP!!"

With incredible launches, Spryzen and Sparyon were released into the stadium. Okay, she went clockwise.

Both beys circled around the stadium, chasing each other. But because Sparyon was faster, it reached Spryzen in no time.

"Strike it from behind!" (Y/n) demanded.

"Dodge it! Get away, Spryzen," I countered.

Spryzen dodged Sparyon's hit by moving away from its path. Then it moved sideways and continued from where it left, but Sparyon was ahead this time. Now I had the chance to hit it from behind. But before I could do anything, (Y/n) did.

"Turn around and hit it!"

Everything happened so quickly that I only had the time to think: Wait, how?

In a flash, Sparyon looped around and headed straight for Spryzen. The collision happened with so much force that both beys were thrown out of the stadium, landing behind us.

"Simultaneous ringout finish. It's a draw! No points awarded," the referee was quick.

(Y/n) stood there in shock, just like me. I didn't know how Spryzen manage to draw against such a strange and powerful attack. It was almost as if I had gotten lucky. (Y/n) must have been real angry, because she glared at me before turning around to pick up her bey. Damn.

"My, my!" Hanami yelped. "This is the first time in the tournaments when someone has survived Sparyon's first hit. Shu Kurenai tied with The Golden Blader (Y/n) (l/n)! Keep your eyes open, 'cuz I think this battle's gonna be even more explosive!"

I turned around and took a deep breath, picking Spryzen from the floor. The pain in my shoulder was slowly seeping in again and if this battle continues for too long, both my injury will become worse and my chances of winning will decrease.

Turning around, I glanced at Valt who was standing there and looking at me with a worried expression. Rantaro and Daigo were talking about something, their eyes fixed on (Y/n) the whole time. Ken's puppets were talking to the twins, who were looking from me to (Y/n) with a conflicted expression.

How hard it would be for those little kids to choose one from me and (Y/n)? I don't know who of them is cheering for me and who for (Y/n), but I sure knew that Valt wants me to win. We made a promise even before we met her.

And I'll not break it.

"Second battle!" Referee announced.

We both took our stances again. This time, (Y/n) didn't go with Flux Boost's one. Her stance was different. She was in a sitting position and launching with her left hand. It was like the one she used when she battled Valt at the basketball club. I don't know if that's for a special move or not but I need to be careful, especially when she looks so angry. Her teeth were gritted and her red eyes could be literally glowing with fury.