Chapter 3: Going Insane

Cornelius Woods' P.O.V.

  As I have for the past few weeks, I wake up to bright sunlight shining in my eyes and a shattered heart. I kicked off the covers and sighed, running a hand through my hair. It's seems that I've been sighing a lot these days. It wasn't a surprise. I lost my mate and my wolf's ignoring me. I'm slowly slipping into insanity and even I know it.

  A knock sounded at the door.

  I grumbled some very un-gentlemen-like words under my breath before yelling, "Come in!"

  The door swung open to reveal the worried face of my Beta, Lucas Slate. He's my best friend, like most Betas are, and is currently trying his best to keep the pack together. I feel really bad for putting my responsibility on his shoulders, but he says that it's nothing.

  "Nels, you've got to pull yourself together. Daphne wouldn't want this," Lucas stated firmly, shaking me by the shoulders.

  "Don't tell me what Daphne wants! She's gone now!" I shouted. I thanfully wasn't using my Alpha voice, so he wasn't bowing or anything. As the reality of what I just said dawned on me, I started sobbing again. I felt like I'd been chewed to bits and spat out again. 

  Lucas scowled darkly. "Cornelius Woods, my sister is gone because of you and do you think I'm holding up well. My little sister is out there somewhere in the unknown. I'm trying my best to hold up and so should you. Also, Tatiana sent a letter to us."

  A silver of hope bloomed in my heart, but even I knew it was too good to be true. Tatiana, like any good friend, would just tell me to stay away from her and scream and yell at me for what I've done. I lowered my head in defeat.

  Beta Female Raine walked in, one hand on her bulging tummy and the other on her mate's shoulder. A twinge of envy rose inside of me, but I quickly squashed it down. "She said that you should go to San Francisco right now."

  I looked up in surprise. "What?!" I exclaimed, my eyes wide. "I thought she hated me."

  Lucas snorted. "No shit sher-OW!" He turned to glare playfully at his mate. "You're abusive Raine."

  Raine ignored him and turned to me with a small smile. "In the letter, she says that Daphne's been an emotional wreck since she arrived and she's not getting better any sooner. She also says that she'll take you to Daphne if you can be at be airport on the day after tomorrow at 4pm."

  I lit up like a Christmas Tree and jumped up from my bed. I hurried them out. "Get out of here. I need to pack."

  They both chuckled and I slammed the door behind them.

  I bustled around, packing my belongings. Unlike what most girls think, I actually have a lot of clothes. It took me a full two hours to fit them all into three suitcases, but I finally did. I could feel my wolf holwing in excitement at the prospect of seeing my mate again.

  After finishing, I laid onto my bed and thought of my little mate. Daphne's been my best friend since I was eight when we met for the first time. We hit it off immediately. I've always had a crush on her, but it was on my sixteenth birthday that I finally had the balls to ask her out. Luckily for me, she said yes. We've been going out for two years. When I found out she was my mate on my eighteenth birthday, I was overjoyed. We stayed together for the next three years and I was ready to propose until the incident came up.

  I scowled at the thought. It was that half-witch's fault that she's now somewhere in San Francisco with a broken heart. I also blame myself, but I still partly blame the witch. I can't imagine what could happen in the next two days. I don't think I'll be able to stand not seeing her for that long.

Daphne Slate's P.O.V.

  I burst into tears yet again as Tate came closer to me. 

  Tate looked absolutely dumbfounded. "Why are you crying?" she asking, her tone cautious.

  "I -sob!- don't -sob!- know -sob! why!" I cried before bursting into tears all over again.

  Tate sighed and her entire demeanor changed. She started looking at me strangely. "Is your period late?"

  I gasped and scowled at her. "You had better not be saying what I thinking you're saying," I said in an almost growl.

  "Well is it?" she pressed, glaring at me almost accusingly.

  I hung my head and sighed. "Yes," I drawled.

  Tate ran off, leaving me in a confused state. I stared after her. Maybe she's going to get some vanilla-covered strawberries. I've been having a craving for them for the past few weeks. Normally people would eat chocolate-covered strawberries, but I'm allergic to chocolate. Vanilla has always been my favourite, but not the extent of eating it every hour and I'm doing that exactly!

 Ten minutes later...

  "Just pee on the stick Daph!" Tate burst out, waving the pregnancy test in my face.

  I scowled. "No!" It wasn't that I found it disgusting. Well I did. It's just that I was afraid that I actually am pregnant. I mean, what idiot would want to be pregnant at nineteen? Other than the married and crazy ones of course, but that's besides the point.

  "Daphne Slate! Pee on the freaking stick on I'm going to take away your freaking strawberries!" Tate screamed.

  I whimpered at the thought of a non-strawberry-filled life and grabbed the stick from her, scowling darkly. "Fine. I'll pee on the stick." I shooed her out of the toilet and locket the door behind her. I sighed and shook my head. Loads of werewolf couples have kids before marriage. I mean, my mother had my eldest brother Alexander at fifteen, my eldest sister Brianna at sixteen, my second eldest brother Bryan at seventeen, my other sister Cassandra at eighteen and finally Cameron, Christopher and me at nineteen. I have a lot of siblings, I know.

Five minutes later...

  I took one glance at the stick and sighed in relief. Thank goodness. I was starting to think that my wolf was going crazy. I started thinking of my mate and I immediately started feeling lightheaded. I felt darkness engulf me before I blacked out completely.

Tatiana St. Claire's P.O.V.

  I saw her starting to fall and quickly rushed to catch her. I dragged her to the sofa and, with a now sore back, heaved her onto it. Daph may look tiny, but she's like a fucking elephant is she fainted into your arms. I know, this happened five years ago.

  I placed my ear to her chest. Hearing the fast-paced heartbeat of a normal werewolf, I sighed in relief. I then walked to the fallen pregnancy test and picked it up. I flipped it over. My eyes widened in disbelief and my jaw dropped.

  Holy shit! We're so screwed!