Chapter 42 Careful

Feeling him stir underneath my hold , I open my eyes to see him looking around bewildered.

"Hey ," I said softly as he tried to get up while I gently pushed him back down. "You have to rest. Doctor's orders. "

"I'm alive ?" He said confused making me unsure if I should be worried or laugh at his silly question. 

"Uh , yeah. Do you remember anything ?"

"Bits and pieces. I remember being shot. Seeing you hover over me on the deck outside and then I remember feeling like I was falling. Like into darkness." He said perplexed trying to recall his memories.

"That's because you almost died. But our people got you to me just in time. You've got a great family Marco." I said in admiration as he took a sip of water from the glass next to him.

"Where's the boys ? I need to see them ." He said trying to get up again.

"I'll get them. You can't keep moving like this Marco. Please just rest up , for me." I said pleadingly while he lied back as I got up to get the boys. Coming back into the room I see that he managed to get himself into a seating position anyway, dispite my warnings. But that was to be expected with him. As stubborn as a mule. Especially when it came to his family.

"Bring them over here." He said with a painful smile as I placed the twins infront of him on the bed before lifting Dante next to him.

"Be careful." I said to Dante while he cuddled up next to his father. I could see Marco needed this. I mean if I almost died , the first thing I would do too was see my kids and tell them I loved them. I watched as he hugged Dante close to his side -dispite the pain and discomfort that put him in - while he lied Mario in his lap and held Emilio in his other arm. If I could take a picture right now it would scream perfection. He showed so much love towards them. It was like he was holding them for the very last time - ironic due to his condition - and it made me yearn so deeply to see him like this everyday. Not injured and near death of course , but so close and content with our family. A lot of the times the day's just fly by where we hardly get to spend time with just the five of us, this quality time - and as much as it pained me to say-  I would do anything to have this moment all over again. Even if it meant reliving the bad this morning just to get here again . 

"Well don't just stand there, join the fun." He said with a painful yet melodic laugh while I got back in bed next to him and Dante.

"I missed this."

"What ? Me in bed?" He said humorously raising his brow.

"You know what I mean." I said laughing uncomfortably . "Us being all together like this. I like seeing you be like this with the boys. "

"And I'm so sorry I couldn't do it more often. I understand now more than ever how precious life is and I don't want to take my time with you all for granted again." He said in realization while he lied back , placing both Mario and Emilio on his chest .

"And I love that you're willing to give up everything for us but Marco," I said taking his hand in mine "I also don't want to take you away from your other family. You should've seen them . They all care so deeply about you and I mean that on a personal level. To a lot of them you're all they have and know , I'd hate to take you from all of that. They deserve to have you in their lives just as much as I do." I ended by giving his hand a comforting squeeze while I waited on his response .

"I've never loved you more than I do now... " he said in awe making a blush rise to my cheeks. Who knew he would take this much to heart ?

I smiled before leaning over and placing a kiss to his lips before feeling Dante squirm underneath me while Marco and I both pulled back laughing.

"Right."

"Sorry bud." Marco said laughing while he ruffled Dante's hair making him giggle.

*****
"You shouldn't be up yet." I said sternly while Marco sat down at the kitchen counter as I prepared dinner.

"I know, but I had to see how my other family was doing. " he said with a cheeky smile , stealing a piece of carrot from the plate.

"Yeah and ? Can you go back to bed now ?" I said turning back to the soup and pouring the carrots in.

"Not yet. I've been talking to them and they told me how calm and collected you were. How you really took charge when I couldn't. " he said while I turned around embarrassed.

"They told you ? Look , I didn't mean to over step my bound-"

"It's okay. Really. " he said shutting me up. " infact, it made me proud. I always knew you'd be a great leader Alice. And this just reminded me that we haven't made you official yet. So tommorow we're doing your admissions ceremony. "

"Tommorow!? Marco that's not nearly enough time for me to prepare." I said , already getting stressed.

"I know. It gives less time for something else to pop up again and to get you finally integrated in this family once and for all. We're not skipping over on this again. It's tommorow Alice. " he said so calmly while I didn't know how I was going to pull this off in less than 12 hours. Placing both of my hands on the counter I tried to take deep breaths while I felt Marco come up behind me , snaking his arms around my waist.

"You don't have to worry about a thing. I've had this thing planned out from the moment I first saw you. All you need to do is look pretty. The guys are calling everything in as we speak. So stop worrying. I've got this." He said placing a kiss to the nape of my neck. And as much as I would've loved to enjoy this moment , I knew he needed the rest more. Taking my sensible side over my feelings I untangled myself from his hold while I went back to the dinner.

"Fine. But you have to go back to bed then or else no deal. " I said smirking while I swore I could feel his eyes on my every move. He knew me too well.

"Whatever you want." He whispered close to my ear - sending a shiver down my spine - before he disappeared back up stairs.

Damn that man for being able to control me like this.

That's it ! Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time keep howling my wolves ❤🐺