😄 Chuckles and Cheer 😄

This is the entry for the Poetry Contest for May 2020, where we had to write a limerick, on any subject. I had some free time today and when I discovered that May 12, is the National Limerick Day, I knew what I had to write on. 

__________________________

There once was a man named Edward Lear,
His nonsensical poems were fun, ne'er queer;
Made popular the limerick,
Often senseless yet comic;
The man who provided chuckles and good cheer.

NATIONAL LIMERICK DAY

Observed annually on May 12th, National Limerick Day celebrates the birthday of English artist, illustrator, author, and poet Edward Lear (May 12, 1812 – Jan. 29, 1888). Lear is known mostly for his literary nonsense in poetry, prose, and limericks.

The day also celebrates the limerick poem. Limerick poems were popularized by Edward Lear's book "Book of Nonsense" in 1846. A limerick is a very short, humorous, nonsense poem. Within a limerick, there are five lines. The first two lines rhyme with the fifth line and the third and fourth line rhyme together.

The Limerick also has a particular rhythm which is officially described as anapestic trimeter.

THERE WAS A YOUNG LADY
By Edward Lear

There was a Young Lady whose chin
Resembled the point of a pin;
So she had it made sharp, and purchased a harp,
And played several tunes with her chin.

While Lear is credited with popularizing the Limerick, the poetry style existed long before the publication of his book. Even so, the Limerick celebrates fun turns of phrase, rhythm, and humor in short form. It also plays with words and peoples' expectations.

~Source: nationaldaycalendar.com