Epilogue

"Daddy, when is Dada coming home?" Luke's five year old son asked.

"Soon, baby." Luke said quietly, focusing on the picture he was coloring.

"I miss him," his son went on.

"I miss him too, Caiden."

"He cooks better than you. And he always reads to me before bedtime."

A year after Michael got out of the hospital, he proposed to Luke and they got married a month later. Not even three months later they adopted a little boy. He was one. That was four years ago.

And now Michael was back in the hospital because his cancer had come back, but they were sure they couldn't do anything this time.

"Do you want to see him later?"

"Yes!" Caiden yelled excitedly.

Luke looked up to give his son a weak smile. It was obvious Luke was getting little to no sleep. He could barely keep food down, and if it wasn't for his son Luke was sure he would pick up drinking again.

--

"Mr. Clifford," Michael's doctor stops him as soon as Luke and Caiden step off the elevator. "I was about to call you."

"Is my Dada awake?" Caiden jumped on his feet excitedly, ready to run off to his fathers room that he has memorized.

Michael's doctor looked down with a sour look, and then back to Luke. He placed his hand on Luke's shoulder, and Luke just knew.

"Is he...?"

"Would you like to see him?"

Luke nods, picking his son up and walking away with tears in his eyes. "We're going to say goodbye to Dada, okay?"

"Why? Where is he going?"

Luke doesn't answer.

"Michael," Luke breathes, placing his son on the ground who takes off toward his Dada.

"Dada, why are you leaving? Where are you going?"

Tears roll down Michael's face as he looks at his son and husband.

"I love you guys. So much. Never forget that, okay?"

Luke placed one last kiss to his husbands lips, and then lifted his son to do the same.

Luke left before anything else could be said.

"I want my Dada! Dada! Come home! Dada is coming home!" Caiden continued to scream until he cried himself asleep. And Luke couldn't control himself anymore and let himself break. 

--

Coming Home is officially over! I am so sad. :( Thank you so much to everyone who has commented, voted, and read! It makes me so incredibly happy to know people enjoyed to short story. I love all of you!