Noise

The weekend and the following week came fast for Caleb. A bruise had formed on his face where his dad struck him, so he just put his hood up when he walked into class so that no one would notice. 

At least... he hoped no one would notice.

Of course, his friend Jake noticed. During lunch, Jake had encouraged Caleb to come to the cafeteria with him, and Caleb gave in, not really feeling up for a fight. He had become very exhausted after the fight with his parents and he hardly had the energy to even speak.

Jake was silently watching Caleb when he finally said something in a quiet voice over the murmuring crowd of students, "How did you get that bruise, Caleb?"

"I fell." Caleb responded flatly, twirling his fork in his pasta noodles. He hadn't even touched them.

Jake didn't believe him, but he didn't press on. He just merely shook his head and then asked, "Have you thought about coming over and hanging out this week? Surely you're not that busy?"

Caleb sighed and set his fork down, he had no appetite anyways. He tried to think of something to say, but nothing came to mind. He opened and then closed his mouth several times as the sound of students talking began to get louder and louder in his ears. He tried to remain calm and not get angry or upset about trying to find the right answer. As the talking became deafening, Caleb stood up abruptly and flipped his food tray over and raced out of the cafeteria.

It was hot and stuffy in there. Too many people. Too much noise.

Jake followed him out, "Man I'm sorry I didn't mean-"

Caleb turned around looking at Jake, he took a deep breath to yell at him but bit his tongue. He shook his head slowly, trying to fight tears. Then he said, a bit aggressively, "It's- it's not you Jake... I just don't feel like going anywhere or doing anything anymore."

Jake watched him silently. Caleb couldn't tell whether the disappointed look in Jake's eyes was what made him upset, or the fact that he turned down the offer Caleb so badly wanted to take, but didn't know how. Caleb turned around and ran down the hall. Some other students had peeked out of the cafeteria to watch him, and it made him want to get away as fast as possible.