Chapter 8: The Farm

When Walnut woke (which was roughly 15 minutes after settling down) it was even closer to dawn! He yawned, stretched and hopped out of the snow-covered hedgerow. With a quick chew on some nettles, he sat up and looked around the landscape. He spotted the shape of the farmhouse about a mile away from where he was. Walnut licked some snow for moisture, then bounded off towards the farm.

Walnut paused in a broom bush, his sides heaving with panic. The cat that was hunting him was skulking around the broom sniffing the air. It growled and twitched it's tail in anticipation for a yummy rabbit meal. It seemed to speak in hedgerow "Come on out long ear! Tom is hungry, and Tom will have a bunny snack!" it hissed, swiping it's clawed paws at the broom. Walnut shivered, and backed further into the bush. The cat hissed, and reached it's paw towards Walnut. Suddenly, someone shouted "Tom! Tom! Here kitty kitty!" It was a girl, she was walking around the farm, calling the cat. The cat growled, and trotted away towards the girl. The dark tabby looked back with slitted eyes. Walnut knew the cat would be back, so he didn't stay long. The buck hopped among the undergrowth, squeezing under bridewort and nettles. He neared the farmyard, sniffing and trembling; farms had dogs. Walnut looked across the farm, searching for a hiding place. He gasped as he caught a faint scent of Barnaby! Walnut saw an old wheelbarrow, and made a quick dash under it. He looked across the yard, and pricked his ears. He could smell the sweet scent of flayrah, and he was reminded constantly of the guilt that would haunt him if he failed to get the patrol back. Walnut went towards the barn in rabbit style; hop, sit, sniff, run.