Chapter 1: The Haystacks

The icy winds howled across Oak downs, sending the leafless oak trees leaning and wind-blown. A small cluster of rabbits huddled together against a thick hazel tree. One of the rabbits, Walnut, started shoving aside the snow, searching for infant grass roots. The rabbit beside him, Cottonweed, copied, snuffling through the powdery drifts. "We need to get enough for the Feast of Frith!" Cottonweed said suddenly, his ears twitching. "I agree," said Walnut "the rest of the warren won't get a nibble unless we find enough by tomorrow night." The other rabbit with them, Orchid, sat up on her haunches and sniffed the air. "Can you smell that Walnut?" The dark brown doe asked, her nose twitching. Walnut sat up too, and sniffed. "I think I can Orchid. It's hay!" Walnut exclaimed, his eyes widening. Cottonweed made towards one of the many holes that led down to the warren. Walnut guessed he was going to tell the cheif rabbit Primrose-rah about the hay. Walnut went after the young buck, and crawled down the burrow. A couple of rabbits squeezed past him, Ragweed, an Owsla captain, Sedge, another Owsla captain, and Barnaby, the largest of the three hutch rabbits they had helped escape from a farm a few miles away (Barnaby is a brown and white english spot rabbit, but the rabbits didn't notice his colour much). "Where are you off to in such a hurry?" Walnut asked in wonder. "Primrose-rah has sent us to raid the farm a few miles off." Ragweed said, looking pleased that he had a special mission. "But that could take all night!" Walnut said in shock. "Don't fret young one," said Barnaby "We'll be back before ni-Frith tomorrow." Barnaby touched noses with Walnut, then the three Owsla officers scrambled out of the warren. Walnut sighed, then carried on down the burrow. Suddenly, he paused, he should tell the officers about the hay! Walnut turned, tore through the tunnel, and halted at the mouth of the burrow. "Sedge!" Walnut called as he saw the buck stop to nibble on some grass roots. The Owsla officer turned and looked at him. "There is some haybales in that field below the down." He said hastily. Sedge thanked him, then bounded off with Ragweed and Barnaby.