Devil Take the Hindmost

Sorry this chapter took so long to post. Hope you enjoy :D .

Anne Eve's POV

Once I was back at the hotel room I settled myself down at the piano in the main room and threw myself into composing. At first the piece started off joyous and comforting but soon turned dark and lonely. I stopped and shook my head this wasn’t supposed to be like that but it only turned that way when my thoughts turned to Erik. I missed him so much, I couldn’t say it or think it enough. I drew in a shaky breathe and then relaxed my shoulders as I had taught Gustave to do when he got stressed when practicing. I needed to have a cheerful and bouncy orchestra piece done so I could at least have it mailed to Spain by Friday so it would arrive on time. I thought to myself this would have been much easier to do in France, I would have had much more time and not worry about delivery times. I gently placed my fingers back on the ivory keys of the piano and began playing what I already had composed. As I came to the end I started adding on bits and pieces. Actually keeping parts and then in frustration crumpling up other parts and throwing them into the waste basket, which I had beside me.

After another two hours of that and I finally took a break and just as I put my pen down Gustave came running into the room. I stood as he hurled himself into the folds of my dress holding onto me for dear life. He was shaking and right after I heard him crying. I pulled him away and knelt down to face him, “Gustave dear what’s wrong? What has happened?” Tears rolled down his face and I was careful to wipe away each and every one of them. Gustave sniffled, “Do you really love me Annite Eve?” I blinked a few times and turned my head to the side, “Gustave why would you even think that I didn’t. I have only loved two other people as much as I have loved you. You mean everything to me Gustave because those other two have been taken away from me and I don’t want that to also happen with you as well.” He nodded and wrapped his arms around me and then quietly said into my shoulder, “So you don’t think I am useless?” My mouth dropped a bit as I pulled him from my shoulder and into my lap as I sat on the floor. I brushed his hair out of his and made him look at me, “Who would dare ever tell you that? Was it is that Mr. Y. if it was tell me now. I will march right to his office right now and pound some sense into him.” He shook his head quickly, “NO! Mr. Y. is my friend he didn’t say that.” I nodded and put my hand under his chin, “Then who did so I can box some sense into them. Gustave you are the most wonderful young boy I have ever met. You are kind, sweet, generous, smart, musically talented, handsome, kind hearted, and so much more. Gustave you are like someone I loved dearly. He was my Angel of Music so in a way you are also my Angel of Music.” His eye grew wide for a second then went back to normal. I asked, “Gustave, what’s wrong?” He shook his head, “Nothing.” Before I could push him any farther on the subject someone came running through the door yelling, “Gustave.” I stood and gently pushed Gustave behind me. The person was a beautiful, short, blonde, skinny woman. She was breathing heavily as she grabbed onto the back of the chair beside her as she caught her breathe. Then she looked up and saw me, “O, I’m sorry I didn’t see you. Are you with the de Chagny family?” I nodded, “Yes I am who are you may I ask?” She gave me a small smile, “I am so sorry where are my manners? I am Meg Giry, I work for Mr.Y.” I gasped a little, “Meg, is that really you?” She nodded, “Yes, do I know you?” I nodded, “Yes, from a long time ago but I would not expect you to remember me.” She shook her head, “There’s only one person who would think that and I would never forget my superior for over five years, who wasn’t my mother. Hello Eve.” I grinned, “How have you been Meg?” She shrugged, “I am well. I am the lead preforming girl in Phantasma and mother is the choreographer. How about you, we have heard nothing about you since before the fire at the Opera House ten years ago?” I took a deep breath as I tried to erase the images that crept into my mind of then as I answered vaguely, “I have been alright. I have been with Raoul, Christine, and Gustave. Thank you for dropping off Gusatve.” She nodded again with a confused look on her face as she turned and left closing the door behind her.