Early Memories

Some people and scientists believe that people with an eating disorder have genes that give them a predisposition to the illness, this means that there may be signs leading up to the eating disorder that suggests that the person is not happy with their body. I like to call these the early ED memories. Here are mine.

One of the first I can remember is being 10 years old and not being happy with my body. At this point I weighed 85lbs and had a BMI of 16.5. I was under weight. I thought I was fat. I would stand in front of the mirror and try to work out which hairstyle didn't make me look fat.

When I got to secondary school at 11 years old I became more aware of my weight, at this point I was now back to a healthy Weight of 120lbs, I thought I was fat. I would spend hours comparing myself to all the other girls around me, I would look up ways to be skinnier or to look skinnier, I hated having to change for PE or swim class.

I lost weight that year, I would not eat break or lunch, choosing to spend the time in the library, I would eat dinner when I got home? But not much of it.

These are all pre ed and are only when I can remember, there were more but I can't remember the full details of them.