Chapter Eight - 'What have you done?'

‘Draco,’ Hermione muttered in a quiet voice that caught Draco’s attention immediately. Draco stared at her for a second when she took his first name instead of his last... there was a feeling in the pit of his stomach but he ignored it and raised his eyebrows in question. Hermione’s eyes dropped to her book and she smiled a little.

‘People will assume you like me or something equal if you don’t stop staring at me,’ Hermione stated casually, like a throw away comment, but her eyes didn't leave the book that she was reading. Hermione was incredibly aware of Draco sitting in front of her with a desk between them. She tried not to noticed how Draco had stretched his legs so that they were in close proximity with her own legs. She could feel him shifting slightly so their legs were touching.

‘No one’s here to see us together, Granger. I can’t believe you’re reading while we’re supposed to be on holiday!’ Draco groaned impatiently and he put his hands behind his head, staring at Hermione with a slight smirk on his pale face, ‘you’re such a nerd.’

Hermione crossed her leg but didn't say anything to his comment; Draco knew she had heard him though since she frowned a little. She didn't even act annoyed, surprisingly, and Draco rolled his eyes at her. He acted as though he was bored but he wasn’t... not really, although he would never admit it to Hermione. Draco was content with talking to her even though it was so late in the night while she read a book in the middle of this large library... he realised just how infatuated he was when he admitted it to himself.

Draco had left the room of requirement an hour ago to meet Hermione in the library and since then they had talked and Hermione had read for the last half hour. Draco let out a sigh and looked out of the nearby window. He hardly ever saw daylight because it was usually dark in the afternoon/evening time and he was holed up in the room of requirement for most of the drawn out day. Although he did leave at midnight just to see Hermione and they would just sit in the library and talk or go down to the kitchens and eat. Draco sighed as his grey eyes roamed the night sky from where he was sitting and he could now make out the moon hanging brilliantly in the air with the stars cuddling around it. Draco’s eyes shot to Hermione when her foot accidently kicked his shin. She glanced up at him with an apology evident in her eyes but Draco glared at her clumsiness. She frowned, drawing her eyebrows together in an annoyed expression.

‘Stop kicking me with your gigantic feet, Granger!’ Draco growled under his breath. Although he was only joking, Hermione took him seriously and Draco tried not to smile when she licked her lips which is something he had noticed about her. Hermione usually licked her lips when she was about to rant or whenever she was annoyed – which was usually al the time due to Draco and his sarcasm. Draco realised he liked this about her.

‘It was a mistake! Why can’t you move your legs away from me? You’re invading my personal space, Draco,’ Hermione said, sitting up straighter as though Draco’s glare had sent a shock through her body.

‘You’ll know when I’m invading your personal space, Granger,’ Draco said with enough emphasis, hoping to capture Hermione’s attention. She looked up from her book and Draco smirked when he saw her mocha coloured eyes which narrowed onto him. They stared at each other in the intimacy of the moment and Draco winked at her, making her blush, ‘if you know what I mean...’

‘It’s way too late at night for your interminable rubbish,’ Hermione said and dropped her gaze from Draco to her book. She felt his leg press against hers and then shot her eyes back up to him when Draco’s foot slowly slid up her jeans, ‘stop being stupid, Draco.’

‘You don’t need to play hard to get, Granger,’ Draco said and stifled a yawn behind his hand. Hermione kicked his shin once more but Draco only chuckled at her, the sound echoing around the library.