Chapter Seven - 'I changed my mind.'

Hermione pushed her empty breakfast plate away from her. The plate scratched on the table in the silence of the hall and Hermione bit her lip as she looked around; there was no one in the hall anymore, not even any of the Professors. She felt so alone once again since it was eleven o’clock and Draco was supposed to meet her at ten. She was sure he wasn’t going to come especially after what happened last night.

Hermione played with her hair as she stared down at her orange juice. Draco didn't care about her and it was time she realised it. He was playing around with her and Hermione was the fool to believe that they actually had something together. Although she could not ignore the feeling in her heart whenever he was around or when he spoke or when he... Hermione groaned slightly in irritation. She had to stop this! Crushing on Draco was just morally wrong for her, besides Hermione and Draco were extremely opposites and they would never work out. Draco was a pure blood and Hermione was muggle born; there was no way they would be accepted in society.

It was like Romeo and Juliet, Hermione thought with a frown on her face and then she felt stupid for even thinking that. She wasn’t in love with Draco, she just felt something when he was around. A voice broke her out of her contemplation.

‘You’re still here? I thought you would have left by now.’

Hermione looked up suddenly, hurting her neck as she did so. Draco sat next to her and yawned, covering his mouth with a pale hand. Hermione noticed that the pink wounds on his hand were fading now. Draco sighed when Hermione didn't answer him. He turned to face her, leaning his elbow on the table and his hand supported the side of his head as his grey eyes travelled over every feature of Hermione’s face while she looked down at her juice again.

‘Angry?’ he asked. There was no answer from Hermione so he continued, ‘I was really tired last night. I didn't mean to sleep in and I had every intention of waking up at ten to meet you here.’

‘Maybe you should go back to sleep,’ Hermione muttered after a small cough to clear her throat. She turned her whole body so that she was facing him and Draco stared at her, a slight smirk appeared on his lips. Hermione noticed the dark shadows that danced under his eyes and his pale skin colour seemed to clash with contrast.

‘I won’t be able to get to sleep again,’ Draco shrugged and grabbed a plate when his stomach growled as though begging for food. Hermione remembered that he didn't have anything to eat yesterday and then she blushed at the memory of them in the kitchens. He smirked as he filled his plate with breakfast foods, ‘just start talking and that’ll definitely lull me to sleep.’

‘You’re so funny,’ Hermione said without a trace of humour in her tone. She rolled her eyes at him and watched as he took a bite out of a pancake. Draco closed his eyes and nearly moaned as he swallowed and Hermione chuckled slightly. His stomach growled loudly again, ‘I think you should just eat and go to bed, Malfoy. You’ll get sick.’

‘If it means that much to you, why don’t you just help me to sleep?’ Draco asked and then winked at her so that Hermione could realise the true and dirty meaning behind his words.  She immediately looked away and called him something nasty under her breath as she played with her hair, ‘language, Granger.’

‘I hate you so much,’ Hermione muttered, watching with a disgusting look as Draco took a huge bite out of an apple in front of her after he had finished his pancakes. He turned to her, chewing the apple with his mouth closed, and Hermione sighed, ‘take your time, Malfoy.’

Draco eyed her as he chewed his huge apple thoughtfully. Hermione narrowed her eyes at him and looked at him as though he was weird. When Draco had finished eating one bite of his apple, he took a deep breath and spoke.