Chapter 10 - Witch

One short bike ride later, Louis and I stood at the door of the Red Brick Café. Quaint place, just like the name; the place itself was a red brick affair, thus the name. It was the ground floor of a small apartment block, probably built during the decade where we still used bricks. An old fashioned building, rustic in its charm. I knocked on the door and entered, ringing a small bell hung above the frame.

"Hello? Miss Gelson? NYPD, detectives Anderson and Ortega here. You in?"

I heard the clinking of dishes coming from somewhere further into the café, followed by a muffled yell of acknowledgement. The inside was just as quaint as the outside; a few tables, couches and even beanbag chairs were scattered around the room. There was a small counter with a cash register on it and a larger room opposite the counter that was lined almost floor to ceiling with shelves of books.

A moment or so after I'd called out, I saw her emerge from what I could assume was the kitchen, a few empty cups sitting on a tray in her hands. She spotted us, or more accurately she recognised Louis, set the tray down on the counter and smiled.

"Detectives! A pleasure to see you again. What can I do for you today?"

I flashed my badge as a courtesy, making sure to show her the amulet in front of my police ID as well. Louis did the same as she raised a hand to her mouth in surprise.

"Oh! Oh my goodness, you too? I'm assuming lieutenant Hayes told you about me?"

"That's right, miss Gelson. We're here regarding the Prince murders, thought you might be able to help us figure out a few things."

She nodded in return and gestured to the door she'd just come out of.

"Right, but we won't be talking out here, I assume? Too many prying eyes to keep our little secret, well, secret."

I exchanged glances with Louis and shrugged.

"Yeah, whatever works, miss Gelson."

She gave us a bright smile as she led us through the back. What I'd initially thought was the kitchen door instead led us into a smaller sitting room. The kitchen itself was behind another door, one that she immediately went back into as we took seats at a nearby table. Gelson emerged a few moments later with a tray that held a pot and three teacups. She smiled as she poured herself what looked like a hot cup of tea before she turned to us.

"And what would you gents like?"

Louis shook his head while I gave it a thought.

"Coffee, cream and one sugar."

Gelson nodded and poured me a cup, which at first I mistook for tea again. But the liquid that came out of the spout wasn't a clear, dark brown like before. It was a lighter, opaque brown and the smell of freshly roasted coffee filled my nose.

Wait, what in the hell?

My look of confusion caught her attention and she gave me a smug little smile.

"It's an enchanted pot, love. Pours the drink pictured in the mind of whoever I'm looking at. You asked for a coffee with cream and sugar, you got it."

Oh. More magical bullshit. I took a sip from the piping hot mug and found it exactly to my liking, just like the coffee I made every morning when I woke up. Down to the aftertaste. I kept my comments to myself and turned my attention to the matters at hand.

"Right, well, here's the situation, miss Gelson. We've hit a snag in our investigation of the Princes' deaths, and lieutenant Hayes believes you can help us."

"Help you how?"

Louis took the question before I could. He leaned forward, elbows on the table and spoke, his voice low.