Chapter 16 what the heck just happened

They let me out of the hospital later on that day. I can't believe any of this. I learned that I won silver. Ledecky won gold, I think. I lost by .12 seconds. But it's okay. It didn't bother me at all. I was happy I got out alive.

My parents dropped me off at the Olympic Village and they gave me time to rest. I had cookies from the gymnastics team and cake pops from the swim team.

No one was allowed to see me, apparently. So when someone knocked on my door, I was surprised.

"Who is it?" I called from my bed.

They just continued knocking.

So I went over to the door and opened it.

"Nathan!" I gasped.

"Hey," he smiled his cute smile and gave me a hug. "I'm really sorry, Kayli. I didn't know what I was thinking. I just... I just snapped when that story of the kiss with Ledecky came out because I thought you were really lesbian and-"

"-and I was using you as a cover up? Why would I do that when I really, really like you?"

"Like?" he inquired with his eyebrow raised.

"Okay LOVE," I laughed. I closed the door and he faced me.

"Anyway, I'm just really really sorry. Maybe it's because I'm confused as well... Maybe it's because I am-"

I stopped him there and started kissing him passionately. He seemed just as excited as I was and I put him down on my bed as I straddled him.

We made out with each other like that for a while, and the sun eventually set, letting today's last remnants of light peek through the blinds of my window.

We lay there, breathing heavily and I turned to Adrian.

"So what was that you were gonna tell me before I interrupted you?" I teased. I wanted to hear him talk about how sorry he was and how wrong he was. 

 instead he took a deep breath and held my hand.

"This past week I've been questioning myself... I never should have attacked you like that. I did some soul-searching and I found something inside me that I have to tell you..."

I thought this was gonna be so romantic. But he looked into my eyes and said,

"I'M GAY."