Chapter 9 Crash

My mom walked around my room.

"Hmmm..." she said. "I heard someone else here."

"No one's here," I said, gritting my teeth. "Now for the millionth time, can you please go???"

"Hmmm." My mom wouldn't go away. She started to lift the covers to check under my bed.

OH NO I THINK NATHAN'S THERE!!!

I darted to get in front of her and sat down on the bed.

"Mom, you really should be going now. I still have to train."

She obviously seemed to buy this.

Then she looked at me and said sternly, "Look, Kayli, I don't want you with that boy..."

"Mom..." I groaned awkwardly. I heard Nathan shift under the bed.

"Kayli!" My mom said seriously. "He's 8 years older than you! Is that really reasonable?"

"MOM!" I moaned. "Just go!!! Uhhh!"

I was getting a migraine.

"I'm not joking Kayli! That boy will distract you from swimming-"

"-Oh my gosh, mom, how can he distract me from swimming when YOU'RE already doing that? I need to practice... my yoga.. yeah, my breathing techniques.."

My mom nodded and walked away. Then she left. I sighed.

"Phew...Nathan you can come out now.. it's safe."

He came out of my bed. I smiled at him. But instead of his usual grin, it was replaced by a solemn thin line.

"What's wrong?" I asked. But I already had a feeling.

Nathan sighed. "Kayli... what if your mom's right? I'm two old for you..."

"It's only 8 freakin' years!!!" I stomped my foot.

Nathan shook his head.

"I.. I'm not good for you."

"Are you kidding?" I literally yell. "The press LOVES us! We're so popular! We have so much power now, Nathan!"

He looked like he got slapped in the face.

"The press? The power? The fame.. is that what you care about? Kayli, I thought you loved me-"

"-I DO!!!" I cried. "Nathan please... I'm just saying that the press, they-"

I frowned and watched as he walked to my door. Nathan turned around and blew me a kiss.

"Bye Kayli...see you around.."

I scowled. OH MY GOD...

My mom pounced into the room a second later.

"I knew there was someone here!" she yelled.

Gee thanks mom. Thanks alot.