Chapter Eleven

The following week went by in a blurr

  The following week went by in a blurr. Daily life felt so normal that it almost unnerved Esther. 

 AnnMarie took care of almost everything they needed for the trip to Tennessee. She had taken time off from her job, printed off maps, and booked a hotel. Esther had tried to at least offer to pay for the hotel, but AnnMarie was instant about doing it all herself. 

On the day before they were supposed to leave, Esther found herself feeling even more restless than she usually did. 

She paced around the house, trying to make herself feel like she was doing something useful with her time and not just aimlessly ambling around. 

She took the time to pack AnnMarie’s bag, and hers as well. She even did the dishes that had been piling up in the sink. 

About an hour before AnnMarie was supposed to be home, she made the radical decision to try and cook something for her. It was something she hadn't done in a long, long time, but food was much easier to prepare in the modern era. Most of it required little more than adding some water and heating it up.

After a while deliberating over packages of instant food, she ended up making rice and tomatoes, which was done by the time AnnMarie came home.

"I made you some dinner." She said, just as the girl was walking in. 

"Oh, uh, thank you." AnnMarie said, her cheeks flushing pink. 

"I don't know if it's any good. I can't really taste it." She said offhandedly as she handed her the plate. 

"I'm sure it's fine." AnnMarie said. 

Not knowing what else to say, she grimaced and walked toward the door, grabbing her flannel shirt off of the coat rack and slipping it on. AnnMarie immediately took notice.

"Oh, are you going somewhere?" She asked as she sat the plate on the table. 

"Uh, yes." Esther said. "I needed to go hunting. I thought I should… get something to eat… before we left."

Annmarie unconsciously touched the inside of her arm, something Esther pretended not to notice. 

"Oh, okay." She said 

Esther cleared her throat. 

"It'll probably be very late by the time I get back, so don't wait up on me."

"Alright." AnnaMarie said. There was an uncertain pause before she continued. "You're not… you're not going to…"

Esther frowned. "Not going to what?"

"You're not going to… kill someone, are you?" She asked unsurely.

"Ah…" Esther swallowed. "Uh, no. I don't… kill people." Usually. "There's really no need for it. It's not like a could stomach drinking enough of someone's blood to kill them, even if I wanted to."