Chapter Ten

Esther left AnnMarie at the table, and walked back out onto the porch, where Peter was awkwardly waiting

     "She doesn't want you to go in." Esther said. 

     "Uh, oh." Peter said, his brow creasing. 

     "It's nothing personal." Esther clarified. "It's… for your own protection." 

    "From the curse?" He asked. 

     Esther nodded. 

     "Yes. From the curse." 

      "Understandable." He said. "But is it really so bad that I can't… that I can't even meet her? Even just once?"

      "I can't really say." Esther said. "She won't hardly talk about it. Even bringing up the topic seems to set her off. But she seems to want to show… an abundance of caution." 

     "Well, I guess it doesn't really matter where we talk." Peter said. "Since I was still in town I  thought I'd come by and tell you in person what I found out."

     "What did you find out?" Esther asked. 

      Peter slipped his hands into his pants pocket, and fished out a small, folded piece of paper. He handed it over to Esther, and she unfolded it and glanced over the neat handwriting that she knew to be his.  

     "It's an address… in Tennesee?" 

     She looked up at him expectantly. 

      "It's the location of a Magick shop." He said. "With real witches, of course. I vetted everything. I think they're probably your best bet for getting more in depth information about breaking a curse of this strength." 

      Esther frowned down at the paper.

      "Are you sure they'll be willing to help? I've heard that witches can be fairly secretive. What do you know about them?" 

      "Not much." Peter admitted. "I remember I tried to interview them a few years back, but they, quite understandably, didn't want to speak to any kind of Christian religious authority. I only really know for sure that they're siblings and they own a store at that location." 

      Esther sighed. 

      "It's worth looking into. I mean, if you don't have any other ideas, then I certainly don't. Thanks helping me out."

     "No problem!" He chirped. "That's what friends are for!" 

    Esther felt flustered, and was suddenly glad she couldn't blush in any meaningful capacity.

     "Uh— thanks again." She said, somewhat awkwardly. "I'll call you later." 

     "No problem! See you around!"