029

( i had a thought, dear, however scary, about that night, the bugs and the dirt, why were you digging?)

chapter twenty-nine !

WHILE VINCENT HAD NEVER PARTICULARLY ENJOYED THE KILLING ASPECT OF HIS OLD JOB, IT DEVELOPED SKILLS THAT HE LIKED

WHILE VINCENT HAD NEVER PARTICULARLY ENJOYED THE KILLING ASPECT OF HIS OLD JOB, IT DEVELOPED SKILLS THAT HE LIKED. Murder wasn't so fun after a while, but the art of holding a gun properly or knowing just the right place to stick a pen in a neck were things that came with the job. They were things that Vincent could confidently say he liked very much. He liked knowing things that others often didn't, and he liked showing off. He liked attention.

This attention, exhibited with crazed smiles and shocked stares, was fulfilling for Vincent. He didn't care for putting a bullet in someone's head because that was always the boring part. The fun part was what came after. Being paid and being praised.

Vincent's skills weren't far and few between. He had many, a variety that mostly consisted of small things. He had learned most of them when he worked for the Commission as an assassin. (Or hitman, if you prefer. Vincent definitely prefers it.)

One of these skills, taken straight from a few Swedish assassins he was put on a job or two with, was apathy.

Being apathetic was something Vincent had once been bad at. He was a naturally expressive person, and pretending to be disinterested and bored all the time didn't seem like something that would suit him. And it didn't suit him, but that was what made it so unsettling when he did it.

Keeping the face blank didn't take Vincent long to perfect, and it was one of the easiest skills Vincent knew. But it was one of the more effective ones. He'd enjoyed toying with it. He'd enjoyed using it to his advantage.

Another one was the complete opposite of apathy. This skill, taken from Vincent's cesspool of a brain itself, was just to act batshit crazy.

This one, Vincent preferred.

Vincent liked putting a wide grin on his face. This one worked better. Rather than using intimidation like the Swede shitheads that trained Vincent suggested, Vincent used insanity. It was funnier. It got him more attention.

Most of all, it annoyed his superiors. The Commission, naturally, hated Vincent's new technique when he'd used it for the first time. That only made Vincent use it more often.

Vincent was good at faking a smile. He was better at forcing a laugh. He was the best at distractions.

Or maybe he was the best at constantly getting caught off guard.

"Good morning, Captain," Vincent felt like a complete idiot, turning on his heels to look at the woman opposite of him, a stupid grin on his face. "You don't stay dead long, do you?" He asked afterwards, laughing a bit.