Return to the Hospital

Rosa's Point of View

         We had just gotten home from the pier and it was by far the most amazing time I have had. We all decided that since it was late and everyone was tired that we would watch a movie. We all sat on the couch, but since there isn't enough room for all nine of us, the younger kids had to sit on the floor. This included MaNiaya, Jackson, Hector, and I but even though it wasn't super comfortable, at least I was snuggled up right next to my new boyfriend as I got to watch one of my favorite movies. I couldn't complain.

           After the movie was over we all decided to go to bed since it was late. My grandparents left and so did my aunt but she let Jackson stay the night since they live close, so we said goodbye to them and went upstairs. I was the first to use the shower but while I was in there I noticed that a lot of my hair was coming out. I was sad. I didn't want to lose my hair. When I got out of the shower I went straight to my room and just laid down on my bed. MaNiaya came in and sat right next to me. I put this big smile on my face and I immediately sat up and hugged her.

          "Woah, Rosa calm down."

          "Sorry. I am just happy."

          I let go of her.

          "Why are you so happy?"

          "Today was just...amazing! I have never been so happy."

          "Right there with you."

          "I still cant believe that you got with Jackson. He has never been one to mess with girls, he has never really cared. He is always super quite and he never talks to any girls, except you."

            She giggled a little bit

          "The best part is that he goes to our school!"

          "You should ask him what lunch he has maybe you will be able to see him everyday."

          "Maybe. I was going to say you are lucky that you will be able to see your boyfriend all the time because during the week, but then I remembered why you get to see him that much."

           I just laughed and she did too once she saw me laughing. I could tell that she was trying to be sensitive about it which I thought was kind of ironic since MaNiaya is never sensitive. That's when the boys walked in.

          "Hey guys, what are you two laughing about?"

          "Oh nothing."

          "Alright."

         They came over and jumped on the bed too. Hector sat next to me and Jackson sat next to MaNiaya.

          "Hector, are you ready to go back to the hospital?"

          "No. I don't want to go back."

          "Neither do I. I am going to miss everyone here."

          "We are going to miss you guys."

          Jackson wrapped his arm around MaNiaya as he said that.

           "We will miss you guys too."

           We talked for a few more minutes then decided to go to sleep. Everyone went to their bedrooms and fell asleep. The next day MaNiaya and Jackson went back home so it was just Hector and I. We ended up spending the rest of the time that we had at my house just hanging out, watching movies, or running errands with my mom.

           The day came when we had to go back to the hospital. Neither of us wanted to go back. I had missed my house and I didn't want to leave again. We got in the car and made the two hour drive back to the hospital. My parents signed us in and we went to his room. We were just sitting on his bed in silence when a nurse came in and told us it was time for another round of chemo. Just like normal we went to the room, waited for the nurse to come in, and when she did she put the IV in us and let it drip. She walked out and I looked out the window then over to Hector. He looked kind of sad.

             "Hector, are you alright?"

             "Well, I could be better but at least I'm with you."

             He smiled and I smiled back. We spent the next few weeks the same way. We would go through chemo once a week and I would go home for a few days then come back. When we weren't doing chemo we were either eating or just hanging out in our rooms. I lost almost all of my hair so I wore a beanie every day, so did Hector. I ended up just shaving my hair before I lost too much. I noticed that he was talking to the doctor a lot more than I was and he seemed sort of upset every time he walked out of his office. He never said anything about what they talked about, but I didn't want to ask since it seemed like a sensor subject for him. We had just finished our 6th cycle and I went to the cafeteria to get some food. I was just sitting there on my phone when Hector walked up to me.

              "Hey."

              "Hi."

              "How are you doing?"

              "I'm alright. Are you doing good?"

              "Umm, I'm alright."

              "You sure? You have seemed down lately."

              "I think it is just the chemo. The doctor said that our moods might change because of it."

              "Ya I know that, but I feel like there is more going on. It might just be me but that is what I think."

             He sighed and just stared at me.

             "There is something I need to tell you but first we should go to my room."

             "Oh, ok."

             I quickly finished my food and we walked into his room.

             "Hector, what is going on? You are starting to scare me."

             "I don't really know how to say this, but my cancer isn't getting better, in fact it is getting worse. The doctor said that it is getting so bad that they want to perform a surgery. It is still experimental but it is supposed to almost completely cure me if it goes well."

            "What?"

            "They are going to implant a nanobot housing unit into my heart and over time, it releases them into my bloodstream and they attack the cancer cells and kill them."

            "If anything goes wrong, you could die."

            "Well I would die anyways."

            I started to tear up.

            "When is it?"

            "Next week."

             I dropped my head, but I felt his hand lift my chin up.

            "This is why I didn't tell you. I didn't want to see you sad. This gives me a better chance at living. If I didn't do it then I would die, there was no chance of me living."

            A tear fell from my eye. All I could do was hug him. The one person that I loved was either going to die or go through experimental heart surgery that won't guarantee his survival even if he makes it through the surgery.