JUST CARRY ON

At first, everything seems very hazy. But the petrified screams in the cabin bring me back to the present moment momentarily.

I look around with a sense of great consternation. There is a worry in everybody's eyes, and God's name on everyone's lips; in different languages.

I've never been very religious, but when in fear, God is near. The whole concept of faith seems to be based on that principle. It can bring even the most stubborn non-believers to their knees in a jiffy.

Cherrie has already come back from her exploration mission and tries her best to crochet. She seems to be the only person that manages to keep calm. Well, her and young Bianca, who still reads her magazine.

Young Miguel, on the other hand, cannot handle the situation. He looks as if he's getting ready to open the emergency exit and jump off the plane. He gibbers incoherently in Spanish, clenching his rosary.

I instantly feel sorry for him.

'That poor thing is losing all his marbles.' Cherrie says without even looking at me, very focused on her piece of work.

'What is happening?' I say a bit concerned, as from what I know, the turbulence, in general, is nothing to worry about.

'We got caught up in a hell of a storm. Hence the turbulences are scaring the bejesus out of everyone. It's so unfortunate, as I really need to finish that scarf on time. That's going to be an exciting part of the trip. I've seen it happen before,' she says, and I can swear I see pure enthusiasm in her eyes.

'Maybe she's an adrenaline junkie?'

I cannot help but wonder how come she's so unruffled, not even a bit. The plane is practically falling apart.

For now, I manage to stay calm too. And I am doing a pretty good job, despite the fact the turbulences make my dinner want to come back up.

But when I spot Doreen in her seat, with her face hidden in her hands, I start to express some worry. I have a terrible feeling that the whole situation might be more severe than they let us know.

'Bianca, I'm scared.' I can hear the little man in front of me cry in a whiney voice.

'Don't be such a baby, Jack.' And the sister dismisses his wails completely.

'I am not.' He says offended, and my heart goes to the boy. If I could, I'd hug him.

Then, as if an enormous hand of a giant grabs the plane mid-air and shakes it violently, and then tosses it into the air again. We seem to lose some hight as a result.

'We're falling! We're falling!' Little Jack completely freaks out, unable to hide his terror.

'We are not falling! It's normal for any aircraft to drop down even a few hundred feet during severe turbulence.' She says that in a manner as if that piece of information was common knowledge.

'I want my mummy.' He demands unconvinced and unbuckles his seat belt.

'Don't be ridiculous, Jack. Put your seat belt back on. You are going to get hurt.' His sister raises her voice, but even then, she doesn't lose her composure.

'Let me go, Bianca, let me go!' He screams.

'Sit down!' And she pulls him down back to his seat.

The turbulences stop suddenly, but I cannot shake the feeling of growing panic that something terrible is about to happen.

And then, just minutes later, the engines start to make a sound, that is the worst sound any engine on an airborne plane can make - the sound of complete silence.