Chapter 5

I had found out more about the Mothman. I know of her being a giant black moth, she had red glowing gridded eyes, had a beak like a bird, had a proboscis in her beak for sucking liquids and small solids, and I knew the Mothman was a female based on its abdomen size. I had also found out that she is fuzzy through touching her head, which lead me to discover that she is somewhat friendly. Territorial yes, but not out right hostile.

I had taken a picture of her as well to show Brian and Lisa.

When I showed them they were kerfuffled by the images I had taken. I had figured they didn't fully believe me when I first talked to them about the Mothman because who would believe a boy of twelve years would spot a giant moth and survive the encounter. But nonetheless they believed me, even freaked out when I said I touched it, even more when I told them the Mothman was a girl.

From that point on I kept visiting the Mothman every few days, bringing it- No. Bringing her food and trying to learn more about her. Everytime I visited her I got less afraid of her. My relationship with the Mothman started to become the relationship between a man and a dog. Sure the Mothman wasn't a dog but the relationship felt that way. This kept going on for months surprisingly.

This whole thing with me sneaking away to the TNT area kept going on even after Christmas and Easter. Meeting with the Mothman became a regular thing I did every few days. This became the new normal for me. Although, the new normal came with some issues.

It was now the middle of May and pollen had gotten everywhere. When I visited the Mothman this month she was covered in pollen. At about this time people around town started a little chatter about two strangers who came to town. The strangers were both adult men wearing black suits like when you'd go to a funeral and they both wore sunglasses at all times.

The word around town was that they were going around asking people questions about strange events, including about the Mothman. I had ask Brian about his opinion towards them and if I should be worried.

He said "You should be worried about them. Those guys in the suits are the M.I.B. The Men in Black! My grandpa told me about them. Whenever something strange is going on they show up to cover it up, and if they show up then something strange is going on that they want to cover up. You need to be careful around them. If they ask you anything then don't say squat. They're good at what they do."

That had me worried. If these Men in Black appeared to cover up strange events then they must be here for the Mothman. If I've learned anything from movies and comics it's that the government will see anything strange as dangerous and will either kill or experiment with uncommon creatures. If they find the Mothman than they'll likely capture her to understand why she's so big or just out right kill her.

Eventually they came to my own house. I was in my living room with my dad watching football. I didn't actually like sports but my dad tried to get me interested. There was a knock on the door. I thought maybe it would be either Brian or Lisa, or mom coming home from the grocery store and couldn't open the door because she was carrying bags. I got up to go to the door, glad to not watch grown men throwing an oval ball. I opened the door and it was them, the Men in Black. As soon as I saw them my heart dropped.

The one on the left was a wrinkled white man with gray hair. The other one had smoother dark skin and short black hair. Both were wearing black suites with ties and sunglasses.

The older one spoke first. "Hello there kid. I'm Agent Kangler and this is my partner Agent Jonas. Are your folks home?" I got nervous with them just standing in front of me. To lure away suspicion I needed to answer quickly. "Uh... My mom is out shopping but my dad is here if you need him." I shouldn't have started that sentence with "uh". Kangler spoke. "Thanks kid. Could you go get him?" "Yes sir." I responded.

I went back to the living room to get my dad. He got up from his recliner chair and walked towards the front door. The two men had walked into the house and closed the door behind them. They then talked with my dad for a few minutes then left. This was getting dangerous. If the Men in Black's specialty is covering things up they it's likely sooner or later they'll find out about the Mothman.

The next day I went to go see the Mothman to check up on her. This time I just put a bunch of apple juice in jars to see if the Mothman would like it, but just incase I also brought canned beans. I parked my bike at the same tree I always parked it and went to look for the Mothman. She wasn't at her usual bunker so I went in the forest. "Mothy!" When looking for her I tended to yell out Mothy to get her to come to me. "Mothy! I got you juice and beans!".

Seconds after I called the Mothman came from sky at amazing speed and landed in front of me. At this point I got use to the Mothman coming out of nowhere. "Hey there girl. I brought some apple juice for ya today. But just incase you don't like it I brought beans." At this point my relationship with the Mothman was like a person and a pet, except I didn't own her. She was just her being who didn't mind my company.

I got two jars of apple juice from my backpack and placed them on the ground. I opened one of them so the Mothman could drink it. She grabbed the jar with her beak and stuck her straw tongue into the juice. She went slowly first but then started drinking it fast as if there was a hole in the bottom of the jar, a big hole. She emptied the jar and when she let it go the jar fell over.

"Well I guess you like apple juice. Either that or you aren't picky about what you eat. Let me just get that other jar for you." Before I could grab the second jar the Mothman lifted her head up and shoved her beak down through the aluminum lid. That took me aback. "Well okay, wow. You didn't have to pierce the lid."

As she drank the jar I noticed something small upon the left side of her head. I moved closer to see clearly what it was. It was a regular sized moth crawling along the Mothman's head. That one wasn't the only moth there though. I saw another moth along the Mothman's abdomen. I walked around the Mothman to get a better look but to my surprise there were a bunch of moths all over the Mothman's abdomen. Some where to the side and some where on the bottom, and they weren't all the same. Some were black, some here white, there were two green winged ones. The creepiest one had four black tendrils coming out of their abdomen, looking like hair tentacles.

What could this mean? Why were there so many moths on the Mothman's rear? I searched through the back of my head to try and remember different moth facts. Finally I remembered something. When moths reproduce they tended to have both their abdomens coming into contact. Come to think of it, all these regular sized moths had big abdomens and only male moths have that kind of size.

This led me to a conclusion that surprised me. The Mothman was trying to get impregnated by the smaller moths. The Mothman was trying to have babies.