Chapter 5

"I love you, Raiden."

I turned and looked into the eyes of the love of my life for one month as of today.

Kodi.

I couldn't believe it had only been a month; it had felt like we had known each other for lifetimes.

I gazed into her eyes as my thumb traced over the planes of her palm. The moonlight illuminated the soft features of her beautiful face and my heart swelled with adoration.

She had never told me that before. But I had known I loved her since the first moment I saw her. She was my soulmate; I had no doubt about that.

"I love you too, sweetheart," I said softly in reply, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. I took one of her hands in mine and carefully intertwined our fingers before lifting her hand to my lips and kissing it gently. She smiled and cuddled up close to me.

We had spent almost every evening here since we met. We were sitting down by a small creek in the woods behind her house. She had told me that this was her favorite place to come and write, and now it was where we came whenever we wanted to be alone together.

I put an arm around her and held her as I whispered quietly in her ear.

"You wanna know a secret?"

She looked up at me and nodded, her hazel eyes wide and almost childlike.

"I've loved you since the day we met."

Her eyes got bigger. "Really?" it was barely a whisper.

I nodded and leaned my forehead against hers. I closed my eyes and let this moment inundate me. I had never loved another human being so much.

After a moment I leaned in closer and kissed her lips gently. Kissing Kodi was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. Fireworks exploded beneath my lips and she kissed me back with more passion. I ran my fingers through her hair and pulled her closer.

Suddenly I heard what sounded like sirens. They became louder and seemed to be getting closer every second. Kodi broke the kiss and looked at me sadly. Tears began to run down her cheeks.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I wiped her tears away.

"I'm sorry, Raiden." She kissed my hand and got up, walking away from me.

"Kodi?" I stood up and tried to go after her. But the next thing I knew, she had disappeared into the woods. "Don't leave me!" I looked all around, but she was nowhere to be seen. The sirens grew louder and louder and I began to cry.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I was jolted awake, drenched in a cold sweat. Tears were streaming down my face and my heart was racing. I took a few deep breaths and tried to calm down.

It was just a dream.

When was I gonna get used to that? It happened almost every night. It was the only recurring nightmare I'd ever had.

I looked over at the clock on my nightstand. 9:23. My parents must have gone to church without me.

I got up and went into the bathroom to take a shower. I undressed and turned on the water, letting it get nice and warm before I got in.

I stood in the shower for a long time, letting the hot water fall over me and calm me down. I let the tears fall freely, with Kodi on my mind.

When was this gonna end? Two years had gone by and barely anything had changed.

And now there was Sam. I liked her. I really, really liked her. But was I even ready to date someone again? Could I even handle it?

Yes, I told myself. You're ready. You deserve to be happy again.

Maybe.

I turned the water off and stepped out of the shower, drying off. I was about to blow dry my hair when I heard the phone ring.

I wrapped the towel around myself and hurried to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Good morning, sunshine."

Sam.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, pleasantly surprised. "I thought I was supposed to call you. Was someone a little eager to talk to me?" I teased flirtatiously.

"I suppose I was," she laughed guiltily. Then she added softly, " I couldn't wait to hear your voice again."

My heart sped up. I struggled to find the right words to say. All I could come up with was a lame. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"Well...It's nice to hear your voice again too," I smiled.

She cut right to the chase. "Raiden, when can I see you again?"

"Oh. Um..." I didn't really know how to answer that. All I knew was that I wanted to see her again, and very soon. "How about next Saturday?"

"Do you think that'll be okay with your parents?" she asked.

Ugh. Them. "I don't know maybe if I try really hard." I moved to a happier subject. "Where would you like to go?"

"I was kinda hoping to take you to this park by my house..."she mused.

"Oh yeah?" That sounded like a great idea to me. I found places like that to be very romantic.

Sorry, i know this is a bad ending spot...thank you for the comments guys and keep reading please!! :D

"Can I bring my guitar?"

"You play guitar??" Sam asked excitedly. I grinned to myself; I think I just scored some points.

"Yeah, totally," I said coolly. "I'm pretty good if I do say so myself." Girls liked confidence right? I hoped so. I didn't want to just sound like an arrogant ass.

"Well I would love to hear you play. You should definitely bring it."

"Awesome. What time should I be there?"

"Um, how bout eleven?"

"Okey dokey!" Oh god. Did I seriously just say okey dokey? I mentally kicked myself.

Sam sighed. "I don't wanna have to wait six whole days..."

Damn. Neither did I. Six days suddenly sounded like an eternity. "Me neither."

It was gonna be a long week.