A Girl Named Sam

"Oh if my voice could reach back through the past I'd whisper in your ear...oh darling I wish you were here."

The beginning of a story is always the hardest to write. And this time, I'm finding it especially difficult to come up with a starting point. What possesses me to put down on paper my innermost thoughts and feelings for the world to read is beyond me. But I have a unique quality about me; every time I go through something in my life so tough I don't know if I'll make it through, I just think hey. This is gonna make a great story one day.

This story, like all others worth telling, is all about a girl. (yes...I know I just quoted Spiderman...damn, I was hoping you wouldn't notice). A girl named Sam. A girl that I fell in love with. And (prepared yourselves) I am indeed a girl as well.

My name is Raiden (pronounced rye-den). It means "thunder and lightning" in Japanese, so it fits me quite well. Yes, I'm a lesbian. A lot of times I wish I wasn't. But its just part of who I am; take it or leave it.

I was probably born into the worst possible family a gay girl could belong to. My parents were devout Presbyterians and avid anti-homosexuals; a lot would and have called them religious bigots. My home was the last place I could look to for acceptance. Needless to say, so was my church and private Christian school. Not even the "friends" I had since middle school wanted to have anything to do with me when I told them. I probably lost about 90 percent of my friendbase when I came out.

But I'm not here to throw a pity part for myself. I just have a story to tell. So that's what I'm gonna do.