Chapter 10 : "Forgiven"

I was standing outside the Baron's hospital room, breathing in and out to calm my racing heart down. I was nervous. My palms were sweaty and my heart? It was beating like a fucking drum. I could hear my own heartbeat. I felt as if my rib cage will crack any moment and my heart will jump out. I sighed and exhaled a shaky breath.

It's Okay, Avery. You just have to go inside and say hello to him. After that, you'll leave him forever. Can I really do that? I mean, leave him forever? I shook my head lightly to clear my head. Don't think about it.

I grabbed the door knob and twisted it. It clicked and I pushed the door open only to find Baron, laying on the bed with his eyes closed. The sight of Baron in front of me teared me up. He had a bandage around his head, a cervical collar around neck and his right leg was completely covered with a cast. I let out a shaky breath and placed my hand on my heart, to calm it down so that Baron wouldn't wake up.

I made my way towards where he laid on the hospital bed. I gulped and traced my fingers slightly across the bruises he had on his beautiful face. There were a few stitches on his right cheek that made me let my tears fall down. There was a scrape on his kissable lips. He was in a shape I never wanted to see him in. I was staring at him when his eyes fluttered open. He just stared at me but soon grinned at me. He winced a little when he grinned due to the scrape on his lower lip.

"How are you?" I managed to whisper.

He nodded while he grinned and stared at me with glossy eyes. I could see the love and longing in his eyes. I know he missed me because so did I but right now, I wasn't the same old, naive Avery. I've matured after he left me. I got over him. But that doesn't mean that I don't care about him anymore because I do and maybe deep down, I still love him but let's just not think about it.

"Good" I pulled my hand back from his face and looked for a chair.

Grabbing the chair near the bed, I sat on it and soon an awkward silence engulfed us. I didn't know what to say and judging by the look he was giving me, he was also having a hard time striking up a conversation.

I was fidgeting with my fingers when I heard him sob which made me look up at him.

"I am so sorry, Avery" He winced as he tried to sit up. I jerked forward to help him lean against the pillow and bedstock.

"I am so sorry for everything. I know I was wrong. I should've trusted you" I was going to move back when he grabbed my hand.

I looked up at him in shock. How could he even touch me now? There's nothing left between him and I. We can't be together. I'm only here to meet him because he wanted to and because of his condition, this is more like a pity showed by my parents to allow me to meet him, one last time: nothing more.

Looking at him breaking down like this in front of me hurt my heart. The Baron is know will never cry in front of a girl, never guilty on what he does. But the Baron in front of me is a whole new person to look at. My gaze fell on our hands, which he was still holding and crying. What if Papa and Mama walks in? I finally got a hold of myself and pulled my hand out of his grasp.

"Now is not the time, Baron" I looked away and sat back on the chair.

"In fact, after what you did--" I glared at him but looking at his condition, my eyes softened and I decided not to say anythinf harsh.

"Let's not talk about it. Let it be a fucked up past" I said and crossed my hands over my chest.

"But-" He tried to say but I held my hand up, trying to shut him up.

"Let's not discuss it in the present, Baron" I let out an exasperated sigh.

Gladly, he didn't say anything after this. Instead, we fell into a very uncomfortable silence but fortunately the nurse walked in.