Chapter 17: The Calm Before The Storm

After leaving Thranduil's tent, Hithaerdes, Percy, Neil, Storm, and I walked around Dale. Hithaerdes was talking about returning to Erebor before dawn. But I wasn't sure that was a good idea. However, I knew why she wanted to go back...for Thorin. She was deeply in love with him. And everyone could tell, well everyone but Thorin, who was completely in love with her. Ironically, Hithaerdes had no idea that Thorin felt the same. I mean how can you not be able to tell the someone is completely heads over heels for you? At that moment, Bard approached us. My smile widened as soon as I saw him. "Bard, hi...again." 

Bard chuckled. "Hello Malia." 

A grin appeared on Hithaerdes' face. "We'll leave you two alone."  

Percy and Neil were about to protest, but Hithaerdes grabbed them by their arms, pulling them away. Storm remained by my side. As soon as Bard saw Storm, she wagged her tail. Bard smiled as he placed a hand on her head. 

"You know Tilda, Sigrid, and Bain, would be happy to see you." Bard mentioned.

My smile widened. "I'd be happy to see them." 

And with that, Bard let me through Dale to find his children. As soon as Tilda, Sigrid, and Bain saw me, they all rushed over towards me, giving me hugs. Once we pulled away from the hugs, Tilda spoke. "Malia! Are you going to stay with us?" 

"I'm staying here tonight." I replied. 

"And tomorrow?" Bain asked. 

I hesitated. "...Well, why don't we go day by day. I'll give you my answer tomorrow."

"Then we'll do everything we can to make you want to stay here with us." Tilda mentioned. 

I couldn't help but smile at Tilda's words. As the evening went on, the five of us ate around a small fire. And as we ate, I spoke about the quests I was sent on like when I went to Europe with Percy, Annabeth, Hazel, Frank, Leo, Piper, and Jason, and I also spoke about first joining Camp Jupiter. And once it was time for the children to sleep, Tilda spoke up. "Malia, can you sing us a song?" 

"Only if you want to." Bard added, wearing a sheepish smile.

"Of course. I don't mind." I assured him. 

I then remembered a lullaby that my mother, Nemirdes, sang to me when I was a little girl. With that, I began to sing. 

"Hush now, mo stóirín,
Close your eyes and sleep.
Waltzing the waves,
Diving in the deep.

Stars are shining bright,
The wind is on the rise.
Whispering words,
Of long lost lullabies.

Oh won't you come with me,
Where the moon is made of gold.
And in the morning sun,
We'll be sailing.

Oh won't you come with me,
Where the ocean meets the sky.
And as the clouds roll by,
We'll sing the song of the seaI had a dream last night.
And heard the sweetest sound,
I saw a great white light.
And dancers in the round.

Castles in the sand,
Cradles in the trees,
Don't cry, I'll see you by and by.

Oh won't you come with me,
Where the moon is made of gold.
And in the morning sun,
We'll be sailing.

Oh won't you come with me,
Where the ocean meets the sky.
And as the clouds roll by,
We'll sing the song of the sea."

As soon as I finished, Bain, Tilda, and Sigrid were all fast asleep. And it wasn't long until I fell asleep, accidentally lying my head on Bard's shoulder. Before I entered deep sleep, I thought I felt a pair of lips on my forehead, but that must've been my imagination, right?