XIX

JANUARY 2020

THE MODERN WORLD

AZEALA LAQUI

-

I had known I was screwed from the very beginning of the day. You could call it female intuition or criminal sense. Either way, I had felt something bad heading my way, worse than usual at least. But what the funniest, especially when you are contemplating whether or not you are dead, is the irony. Thinking about death and then it happening to yourself- almost like a punishment.

"Will you continue pretending to be dead," A voice said, jolting me from my thoughts. My eyes flew open and I tried to sit upright, eyes adjusting to the brightness of the area. My vision was trained on the man standing in front of me.

His flaming hair shone in the brightness, the breeze causing his curls to bounce with life. He turned to look at me, those merciless amber eyes piercing the depths of my soul. My tone cracked as I tried to respond, while he stared at me with a hint of amusement on his inexpressive face.

"503 years you have been alive in this world."

My head cracked as I whipped my neck to glare at him.

"How do you know that," I said, finally standing up, to glare into his eyes. He didn't respond, his eyes didn't even flicker and I was starting to get annoyed.

"So am I dead, or not," I asked him the question burning, the attitude hiding the fear welling within me.

"Do you feel dead?" I glared at him shaking my head back, allowing my long hair to graze the top of my hip.

"So, what then," I asked, "are you like me then."

His eyebrows relaxed, it was obvious he hadn't even heard my question. The flaming red rose slightly as his eyes raked my figure, an almost thoughtful expression covering his face. I say almost because it honestly felt like it was impossible for the man before me to feel any emotion.

"I have a proposition," he said leaning forward.

"You have a proposition," I repeated dumbly.

"Yes," he said with an air of impatience. I waited for him to speak, taking a page out of his book on attitude.

"We'll play a game; you can pick it. Cheatings allowed, but if you're caught. You're out," he said pausing for a moment, "If you win, I will do whatever you say, but if I win, you must do as I say."

He finished his eloquent speech and I couldn't help but burst into laughter, my head tilted back and my hand covering my mouth. I could feel him glowering, but I chose, to very smartly, ignore him.

"What are you? god," I asked finally. He remained expressionless.

"I have no time for this, answer my question," he said.

"What if I don't want to play," I asked him, staring at my long nails in a purposefully bored expression.

"You die." My lips stretched out into a thin line.

"You sir, have no control over my death or not but," i said shaking my head, "but you know, i'll humor you."

"That is the proposition, either you agree to play or you will die."

I grinned and cracked my neck.

"Well, it's not like I have much to do with my life, so I guess why not let an idiotic man be in dept with me forever."

"Good," he said, "Pick a game."

I stared, some part of me taking this a bit seriously.

"I'm gonna ask you some questions," I asked, the slight nod in his head told me what I needed to know.

"How many people have you killed," I asked.

"More than a few," he replied. A shocked look came on my face and I raised an eyebrow, deciding whether or not he was joking but the serious look on his face claimed otherwise.

"Favourite game," I asked him.

"Chess and hunting." I stared at him. All hopes of actually winning this so-called game flying out of the window.

"Most felt emotion," I asked slowly hoping he would respond with something different.

"Pleasure."

I sighed.

"Pleasure from what, exactly," I asked.

"Killing," he responded, so matter of factly, it just increased my anger. I stared at him for a long time. I could feel my green eyes flashing at him.

"That is absolutely unfair," I yelled at him. He finally showed a little emotion, shock slightly covering his face, but he concealed it well.

"And why is that, Azalea," he asked.

"You know my name," I asked, spluttering.

"Yes." I glared at him again.

"We are so fucking alike," I said calming myself down a little bit. He watched me in pure confusion, this man was fucking unbelievable.

"Fine," I said finally, a thought entering my head, "Fall in love with another person and get then to love you back." Some sort of pain covered his face and momentarily looked at the floor.

"How exactly are you going to accomplish that," he asked his face, now devoid of emotion, again.

"How do I fucking now," I replied in a daze.

"All I know is whatever I can't do, you can't do," I replied, "But I can probably do it before you." My decision was in the very least not very smart at all, but I couldn't take it back now.

"So that's the game," I said, "You can say the rules."

"That is part of the game, it is your choice," he replied, his amber eyes glimmering.

"No, it isn't, you didn't specify anything when you gave the preposition," I replied stressing on the last word. I looked at him, confused. Who was he? Or in my world what was he. I studied his figure. He was well groomed dressed in formal trousers with a black shirt tucked in and a blazer hanging over his shoulder.

"Three weeks at most, no unearthly power allowed, and you must fall in love with a person you are most unlikely to like," he stated. I smiled at him coyly, but my body pulsed in fear.

"Done," I responded, "Watch me kick your arse." He, like normal, didn't respond to me and I felt uncomfortable under his gaze, my fingers subtly removing the strand of brown hair from my face.

"Ready."

"Yeah," I replied, but then reconsidered, "I have a question, though." He jerked his head forward asking me to continue.

"Who are you."

He looked at me again, then turned away, his eyes gazing into the distant future before refocusing onto me. His mouth split into an arrogant smirk.

"I am death."

***

Now is the time you all can guess what connection this has to do with the old world. i would love to hear your thoughts, especially if I could make the story building stronger by removing any future clues. :) Have fun reading on.

OOMPA LOOMPA