thirty one

thirty one

THE FIRST STEP of saving that idiot was getting to the last location he'd scouted. It was a plot edging the outer limits of San Helios, closed in by overgrown, abandoned lots and bumpy roads far from the high-maintenance highways leading away from San Helios. The pavement was cracked, weeds spearing through the tiny cracks, cigarettes littering the road.

A few tired-looking trees arched over the pavement, scraggly branches twisting in the light breeze. A whirring sound could be heard nearby, emanating from the drone Zuri had sent after me. It hovered somewhere above, a small red light blinking softly against the black sky, reminding me it was there.

And then there was me — on my way to rescue the damsel in distress, also known as the ever-righteous Brann.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," I mumbled to myself, creeping further along the road. The drone sped up, climbing higher in the sky as it sped forward. I hadn't used the waterworks for transport this time, as both Zuri and I agreed it would be better for me to go on foot, as I could wear the watch which allowed me to communicate with her.

The watch buzzed, words appearing on screen: ALL CLEAR. PROCEED.

Having the drone scout ahead was a strategy which had worked thus far, allowing us to advance block by block toward where Brann's beacon had last transmitted a signal. Either the idiot had turned it off on a quest to go in on his own — which was what I suspected — or someone had turned it off for him.

If it's the latter, at least someone will kick his ass for me. Silver linings, all that.

Hurrying after the drone, I kept myself close to the wall of the nearest building. As a gap appeared in the form of an alley, I took a cautious leap across the gap between the buildings, uncertain if there were any of Mistress' goons hanging out in the alley. All the while, my body hummed with electricity, every inch prepping for a fight.

I could feel my powers lashing within me, surging at my volatile emotional state. It was a mix of fear — of being scared, excited and simultaneously terrified. Terrified at what might happen to both me and Josh, if we failed at our task. Terrified at what might happen to Zuri, and the kids back home.

Swallowing a hard lump, I slammed that train of thought into a box before chucking it far, far away.

This is no time for distractions, Leo. You know that.

I did know that, which was what made it all the more infuriating when I didn't even listen to my own sage advice.

My watch buzzed again, new words appearing: TWO BLOCKS FORWARD, ACTIVITY. CAREFUL.

Heeding Zuri's words, I slowed down, taking extra care to not scuff my shoes against any loose pieces of gravel. I could hear them before I saw them — the sounds of laughter, a rolling chuckle, a few groans before cheers erupted.

I stayed crouched, careful as I moved forward. My heart kicked up a frantic pace, worried about what I was going to face. Leaning around the corner, I spotted a group of four figures huddled around a rickety table, stacked with cards. They were hooting at one of the group members, who as busy attempting to balance another card atop the stack.

Unbelievable.

Angling my wrist, I tapped the watch. Can I go around them?

Zuri's response appeared a second later: NO. LOCATION IS JUST UP AHEAD:

Suppressing a sigh, I reached up to pinch the bridge of my nose. Great.

You've really put me in the shit-zone now, Josh.