twenty one

twenty one

IT TOOK TWO WEEKS for Zazu to narrow it down enough for us to have a chance at intercepting the next delivery. She was hard at work, closeting herself by her screens and turning square-eyed as she spent her days staring at her screens. I felt useless, unable to help her. I went to work with Ollie at Riptide as usual, spent the work-day laughing over whatever nonsense we were discussing at that moment, or complaining about a rude customer or two. 

Ollie hadn't noticed I was more skittish than ever before — I jumped when a customer dropped her glass, then reached for a knife set when another customer slammed the front door after exiting. If she did notice, she mercifully didn't comment. 

I was just ... ready to not be Leo anymore. To not pretend that I felt normal, and could go about life as usual — it felt strange, pretending to retain a sense of normalcy, of having a normal summer break, when the internship had ended. Maddy had texted me a few times, asking to meet up with her and Josh. 

I refused. By that, I meant I declined semi-politely. I couldn't bring myself to it. Our encounter in the research centre's basement ricocheted through my mind whenever I saw her texts, and at the memories I felt a lump growing in my throat. 

No. It's better to just stay home — to avoid all this. 

So I did, spending my days entertaining the younger kids at Sylvester House. Zazu had shuttered herself away, but there were still three youngsters running rampant throughout the house. Besides, I had chores — Mrs. Cold certainly hadn't resurfaced, keeping her distance from the orphanage. I wondered if she had met up with Mistress since. I wondered if she was going to return, and attempt dragging the kids away again. 

Whenever my thoughts slipped that way, I felt my focus slipping away, my heart thumping at the very real risk of that happening. 

They're my only family. 

So when Zazu wandered downstairs one of those days, eyes sharp with intent, I felt a sharp focus returning. 

"I think I've got it," she'd said, then returned to her room. I had been mid-boardgame with Lila, and her inquisitive gaze followed me every step of the way to Zazu's room as I excused myself.

When I entered Zazu's room, she'd already rolled up to one of her screens. The blue light washed over her face, reflected as several bright squares in her eyes. 

"You got it? You're sure?"

She nodded, hands skimming the keyboard as she typed with inhuman speed. 

"When?" 

"Tomorrow." 

I stared at the side of her face, breath catching. 

"Tomorrow? You're sure?" 

"I mean, obviously it's not one-hundred percent — " Zazu trailed off, turning from her screens, " — but you'll have to gear up. Get there. Call your partners."

My breath caught again, almost choking me, "Partners?"

Zazu tilted her head, met my look with impassive disdain.