Chapter 54 - Sisters

"Mom, I'm fine. I just wasn't in my room last night and I didn't have my charger with me...No! I was just at a party and didn't have a ride home, so I stayed there...Some guy's room...Mom, chill. He wasn't there...I know the statistics, mom. They were friends of Tara's. I slept alone in a room with a locked door...I walked. It's not that far...Well, my ride sort of ditched me...No, it's not like that. It was sort of a date I guess...Does it sound like things went well, mom?...Sorry...No, it's not exactly her fault. Mom? Can I ask you something?...Have I kind of been a selfish, self-centered brat ever since Kelly dumped me?...Very funny. I'm serious....No, I know. I'm starting to think that I'm sort of taking out my anger on the world. Like I'm trying to punish the rest of the world because she was taken away from me. Like it owes me now....Yeah...Maybe...I guess so, but when Cindy broke up with Kevin, she didn't act like the world was to blame...That's true. I don't know. I think I just need to do some soul searching...Yeah...I will, mom...I love you, too...Bye."

* * *

"Operation: Get My Head Out Of My Bum, Day one."

I was talking to myself as I rang Tara's buzzer. After walking home from the party and showering, I decided to grab Tara and take her out to breakfast. It was taking a long time for her to buzz me in, so I rang again.

"Yes?" Her sleepy voice came through the surprisingly clear speaker.

"Were you still in bed?" I could have texted first. I wasn't off to a good start putting other people's feelings and needs ahead of, or at least equal to, mine.

"Ani! Yes, but that's fine. You're exactly the person I want to talk to!" I heard the buzz to allow me in, and I grabbed the door.

By the time I got up the stairs and to her door she was dumping coffee grounds from her little grinder into the basket of her coffee pot.

"I'm sorry, Tara. I thought you'd be up by now. I want to take you out to breakfast."

"That's okay! I'll take you up on breakfast after I shower. I'm dying to talk to you. Have a seat. Coffee will be done soon." She motioned to one of her barstools as she flitted around her kitchen area with bed head and wearing nothing, from what I could tell, but a little silky robe. I stared rather shamelessly at her legs and bare feet. Probably the smartest thing I had ever done was refuse to let myself crush on Tara. I made no secret about the fact that I thought she was hot, and I was glad that she never found that awkward. Some girls get really uncomfortable knowing you find them attractive. I couldn't imagine telling Cindy that seeing her topless one day when we changed after swimming was probably the highlight of my sophomore year of high school.

"I thought you had an early night. Stay up late studying after you got back?"

"Nope. I did get home early, but then I stayed up until almost four in the morning talking with someone." She smiled at me with her teeth clenched. Her shoulders and eyebrows both raised up.

"Tara, are you smitten? I've never seen you like this before. It's...unsettling."

"I think so! Honestly, I've never met a guy interesting enough to talk to for that long about anything and everything, you know? Sure, if we're having a spirited debate or debriefing after a lecture, something like that, but we just...talked."

It's true. I had never actually seen her interested in a guy beyond his appearance or accomplishments before. Tara's dates and boyfriends were usually just physical descriptions to me. Sometimes she would mention where they went to school or some other tidbit.

"Huh. So, how long has this been going on?" She put two mugs next to the coffee pot, then sat down next to me.

"It's pretty recent. Last night was our first real connection." I glanced back at her bedroom.