Chapter 30 - The M-Spot

The stands were more crowded than usual for a girls' volleyball game, especially one on a Wednesday, but this was their last regular game and the girls had really been killing it. I was sitting in a group of people who had decided to go all out and make posters, paint their faces, etc. It was kind of over the top for a Preston sporting event, and we knew it. That's what made it fun. You have to make your own fun when you live in a town like ours.

Mark and John were sitting with some other seniors. They had body paint all over their arms, faces, and necks, and it looked like they had it under their shirts, too.

"Why did you guys paint under your shirts?" I asked.

John answered, "We had our shirts off, but Principius Maximus out there made us put them back on." Our principal's name was Mr. Maxwell, hence the nickname.

"That sucks. It would have been awesome!"

Mark proclaimed, "We should get everyone in the stands to take their shirts off in protest!"

"Everybody, huh Mark?" I asked.

"I'm all about equality," he said, feigning hurt feelings that I might be suggesting otherwise.

John put his hand on Mark's shoulder. "Mark, it's different for girls. They have some parts we don't."

"Well," I said, looking down at my own shirt, "most of them."

Before anyone else could say anything, Cindy plopped down beside me. Everyone knew that Cindy and I had been friends forever, then had a falling out. The boys moved away, saying something about hitting the concession stand before the game.

"Hey, Analee," Cindy said carefully.

"Hey, Cindy." There was an awkward silence for a couple seconds.

"Analee, I just want you to know that I miss you, and I still think about you a lot," she said.

"You mean, you pray for me a lot?" I tried not to make it sound mean.

"That, too," she said matter of factly.

"Look, Cindy, I miss you, too. Honestly. But, it totally changed the way I saw our friendship when you told me you were spending so much time praying for me to change. Can't you see how that would make me feel?"

"I just care about you, Analee. I want you to be truly happy."

"And, you don't think I can do that if I'm gay," I said flatly.

"I don't want to fight, Ani. I just want to be friends again. Can't we drop this?"

I thought about it, I honestly did.

"No," I finally said. "I don't see how. Every time I look at you, I know that you're thinking something is wrong with me. Something that means I deserve to be punished for all eternity. How can I be friends with you under those circumstances?"

"I don't think you deserve it! That's why I pray for you, Ani."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, let's look at it this way, how long have you been praying for me to change? Three years?"

She looked a bit guilty. "Yes."

"How's that working so far? Maybe God's answer is 'No,' and he thinks I'm fine the way I am."

Cindy's eyes widened and she looked directly into mine, then tucked her hair behind her ears, and sat up straight, as if she was ready to give an answer in class. She was ready to go full apologetic on me. I was in her house now!