Chapter 20: Inner Wolf

Maxwell:

When it had gotten later through the night, almost dawn, Max snuck out from under the covers, leaving Zoey covered up. She snuggled against a pillow and continued to snore quietly while Max stepped outside. The wind blew over his naked body and he started to run through a path in the woods, letting the shift take him over and he turned from man to wolf.

The freeing wind through his fur was everything that he'd wanted. He now had a soulmate, that he'd made love to, his sister and brother were okay, everything was good in Max's life.

That's when the gunshot rang through his ears and he stopped dead in his tracks. Max whirled around and ran back for the house, full wolf form and growled.

Inside the house, he first heard Leila scream, and then Zoey.

Max groaned as he shifted back, every bone and muscle in his body screaming. Finally, he was able to run into the house, even though fully nude, he didn't care, something had just happened.

"Max! Help him!" Leila screamed.

Max's eyes darted around the room until he saw that Channing was wrestling with an older man that was pointing a gun at Zoey.

"What the hell?" Max yelled and he jumped into the fight, slamming the man's hand against the ground hard enough to send the gun sailing towards Leila.

She grabbed it and aimed it at the attacker and the fight stopped.

"Who do you work for?!" Leila yelled.

"Don't kill me, please," the guy pleaded.

"Answer the question dammit!" Leila yelled.

Max turned and went to Zoey who was huddled in the kitchen, trembling with fear. 

"W-Why are you naked?" She asked weakly.

"I went out to uh...use the restroom," Max said.

"You liar! Why don't you tell your bitch that you're a shifter?! HUH?!" The guy yelled.

Zoey's eyes went wide...

----------

A/N: so I figured since this was the big chapter 20 mark, that there'd have to be a major event. Zoey now knows Max and his family are shifters. Is that a big enough event? This story will only have ten or more chapters left so I'm thinking that the story will start getting more tense with the next couple chapters!