(8) Welcome to the Space Jam

Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn - C.S Lewis

I suddenly had the mother of all headaches. Also the father, brother, sister and mailman of all headaches and when I could open my eyes beyond the blinding pain screaming in my skull, I was rewarded with seeing little red drops of my blood floating through the zero gravity air. Such is the life when you’re floating through a gravity free space and decide to give the hard, metal grated wall a Scottish kiss. At least we were regular size again, although I was a little pissed off that I never got the chance to raid my chocolate stash while it was overwhelmingly huge. Then again, with my luck if I had done that, the pieces  I ate during the Shuffle would just revert to normal size in my belly anyways. I’d save the chocolate for later. For emergencies.

“Felix, can you not do anything without getting busted up?” Van snarked from her position near the flight deck door. Although her attitude was pure condescension, she launched herself gracefully from that position to come check on me as I held the gash in my head closed. With my ever deteriorating luck, the blood would get into the electrical panels and really screw the pooch. I just held still and did my best to keep the ever necessary fluid inside of me. Biologically women are tougher than men; I mean come on, we can bleed for five days straight and not die and you will not see a man ever do that. But that didn’t make this head wound feel anything less than painful. Van gracefully stopped next to me and I had to resist the urge to push her so she floated away a little. Sometimes I can even seem graceful myself, but mostly I’m a hot mess.

“Do you happen to have a sticky in that cleavage of yours?” I quipped at her, part of me actually prepared for her to say yes. Van’s cleavage was ample to say the least, and in the past I have seen her pull out anything from a flask to a gun from it. However, judging but the oh so not amused look she was shooting me, today was not a case of cleavage as pocket for her.  

“Shut up and let me look at you.” Van scowled at me and I moved my hand from the likely small gash on my forehead. “Can’t take trust you to take care of yourself, can I? By the Goddess’ perky tits you need a keeper.” Van muttered as she immediately started to poke and prod the wound.

“Ow. Ouch. Owwie. Eyyoie. Wowza.” I groaned as she deftly pinched the bleeder closed and threw an honest to Goddess piece of duct tape over it. That shiny, sticky crap was seriously holding me and my ship together more often than not, and it was one of the few inventions from Old Earth that I was completely in awe of.

“You’ll live now let’s get moving.” Van ordered as if she were the one in charge. I just rolled my eyes and got a little enjoyment out of pushing her back towards the flight deck entranceway. Jaxom shot past me next, either hurtled in the right direction by Rorick or figuring out how to navigate zero G for himself. When the older man crash landed into the door frame but managed to hang on, I figured that he was going to hate himself later for the bruises he earned now, but that was his problem. I was about to launch myself when I was suddenly surrounded by the steel arms of Rorick and pinned in place once again. For a man that size he sure could move gracefully and with precision.

“Are you alright?” Rorick’s deep voice rumbled through his chest and reverberated into my spine like an aural massage. I’m not one hundred percent sure if it was the fact that we could die at any moment, the fact that I am desperately in love with this man, or the fact that I seem to be a walking (or floating in this case) catastrophe, but for a moment there I just enjoyed having my blood slave caging me against the wall and completely forgot about the need to get a move on. I had a whole second to just luxuriate in that slightly intimate moment and then the entire ship was rocked with a close impact against the push field.

“I’m fine Roar. Let’s go make sure everyone else keeps breathing.” I sighed out and wormed around to face him. Yeah, big mistake that, being a hands breadth away from his face did not at all ease the choking tension in the air between us.  Yes there was an asteroid storm tagging about us, yes there were others waiting for us to catch up and yes this was the worst timing ever, and yet we still stayed locked in that moment of wanting to throw caution to the winds and just go for it. I really wonder how in the blazes I could have been oblivious to his passion for me for however long it’s been. That’s me, Captain Oblivious, sometimes I amaze even myself.