chapter 5

Dedicated to Ninjaluver for their comment on the last chapter!!

Recap - Chapter 4: 

"Hey Rivera...you might wanna see this." Ray said, calling me over. I crawled across the floor and went over by Ray, to see what he'd found.

There, in his hands, was an old metal lunch box. And on the lid, printed in bright colors? A picture of five young guys, and the words written in white, "One Direction". Two of the guys on the box? Liam and Niall. And one of the others? My father.

Chapter 5

Rivera POV:

It was easily twenty years old. Chipped paint, dented in rather obvious places and ruty beyond belief, this "One Direction" lunch box was anchient.   

I was afraid to open it.    

"Do I even have to ask what the fuck One Direction is, or are you confused too?" Ray asked me. It was at that point when I realized that it was probably a good idea to start breathing again.

"What do you think is inside?" I asked in a hushed tone. Ray pondered a moment.

"Eyeballs."

"Eyeballs?!" I deamnded of my brother, repeating his rediculas statment.

"Yeah, human eyeballs. Dad probably used to collent them. Those other guys on the cover were his hunters." He said. I gaped at him, my mind not even able to grasp how stupidly, well, stupid he was being at the moment.

"I'm fucking serious! What is this crap?!" I demanded, shoving the box at him. However, he'd pulled his hands away and the thing flew to the wooden floor boards, crashing down with a loud thud. The rusty lid tumbled open, and what seemed like a million different white squares errupted from the box. Ray just stared in awe as I picked up one of the pieces of paper. 

Turns out, it wasn't a piece of paper at all, but a Poloriod picture. In the picture, a skinny blonde had her arms around a man with copper skin and raven black hair. She was staring at him lovingly, and he stared back with the same content. I knew that look; it was one that my father often saved for my mother. Whenever she walked into a room, his eyes glazed over in pure love.

I took a closer look at the scribble on the back. It wasn't random pen marks, but a date.

"July eighth, 2012." I murmured. "Weird,"

"Wait, isn't that the day you were born, Ri?" Ray asked. I nodded slowly, my throat growing dry.

"Yeah...who are these people?"

"It's one of the guys from the cover." My brother informed me, picking up the now empty box and closing the lid. On the tin was, indeed, the man from the picture. The name Zayn was written in a similar font to the One Direction logo.

"I guess he's a friend of dad's." I concluded.

"He's on a lunchbox." Ray replied flatly. "I know Dad's a little random at times, but people don't just get lunchboxes made with their faces on them."

I ignored my brother once again and started to look at more of the photos. One, a picture of mum and dad, standing outside the arena of the 2012 Olympic Games. Another of Aunt Danielle and her husband, Andy Samuels, hugging. On the back, was the date of her 24th birthday. It wasn't until I flipped over a photo marked "July tenth, 2012" two days after I was born, that I found my answer.

It was a picture of a man with buzzed brown hair, a blue t-shirt and jeans, holding a tiny baby with brown hair. I looked closer. I knew that picture. I'd seen that picture, of a baby, but no man. My mother had it hanging in the hallway of our house. But the one in our house was cropped, so you could only see the baby. This one...this was the full photo.