Intro to Chapter 1 Flashback

-Flash Back-

“Mrs Drais, your son’s test results came back today and I'm afraid I have some bad news. His white blood cell count was higher than the average persons.” You could tell Dr McCalum hated the fact he had to tell us these result. What does that mean? My white blood cell count is off balance? Can’t they just give me some red ones?? I started to feel the cool sweat drip down my face as I began to panic. As I held onto my mother’s hand she began to shake. She knew what it meant... What does it mean! “Miss, Ma’am.. I'm sorry but I'm only a teenager I have no clue what the hell that means!” It only came out as a sqeek because judging by the look on my mothers and her face, it did not mean anything good. “Son... Baby, it means you have cancer...”

My head went dizzy as I began to think and blocked out the Doctors voice. I have a future ahead of me. I’m the star football player and I'm not even a senior yet! I wanted to go to university. I want to be in love. I want to have kids!! I never thought of this before now but I do want to have them. Not now, but in the future. Then it hit me. Not all cancer kills, I can fight this and will fight this. My attention was caught when I heard the words “six months” thinking that’s how long the treatment would take I cut in “pardon, what about six months?” My mom looked up at me with water in her eyes and tried to speak but Dr M. cut in, “to live J’kyden, six months at the most left”

“Mr Drais... Mr Drais can you hear me?” “Oh yeah sorry Doctor, I was just uhh thinking...” “Well it’s a lot to figure out. There is a....” His words faded into the background as my thoughts ran wild. I have six months left; I won’t even make it to the end of grade 11! “September, October, November, December, January, February...” I said the months out loud as I began to count six months ahead. This mean I will be dead by Valentine’s day..

-End of Flashback-