Maryam Bint Imran

Note: Girls, if you're menstruating do not read or touch the verses of Qur'an. You can simply scroll without touching the written part.

Maryam (AS), the mother of prophet Isa (Alayhi Salam) wasn't great just because she was the mother of prophet Isa (Alayhi Salam); she was great because she perfected her faith.

The greatest Woman- Maryam Bint Imran.

By Omar Suleiman at QuranWeekly.

Today we'll be talking about the greatest woman who has ever walked on the face of this Earth, that is Maryam, the daughter of Imran, may Allah SWT be pleased with her. Allah SWT says,

(Ya Maryamu)

Oh Maryam (3:42)

(3:42) Then came the time when the angels said: 'O Mary! Behold, Allah has chosen you, and made you pure, and exalted you above all the women in the world.

So Maryam (AS) is the greatest woman of all time. RasoolAllah (SAW) said she is the best woman of her time and Khadijah (RA) is the best woman of her time. What makes Maryam (AS) so special and Allah SWT says that she is

An example of those who believe (66:11)

Maryam Ibnta Imran (66:12)

Notice that Allah SWT did not associated Maryam (AS) with Isa (AS) in every ayah of Quran. In fact, as Allah SWT is mentioning her, just after mentioning Aasiyah, as the wife of Pharoah and the wives of Luth (AS) and Nuh (AS) as their wives, He doesn't say Maryam, the mother of Isa (peace be upon him). He just says Maryam ibnta Imran.

What is the wisdom of that?

Maryam's greatness is not necessarily tied to Isa (AS). She was great because of who she was and in fact, her name is even mentioned more than the name of Isa (AS) in the Quran because how great she was.

She is not a woman because she was the mother of prophet. She was recognized as the woman who perfected her faith as the prophet (SAW) mentioned her among that group. She's the woman who demonstrated us how to really have Tawakkul (faith) in Allah SWT, to truly trust Allah SWT in the most difficult times. She's an example of modesty for both men and women. She's an example in her devotion, in her Ibaadah, her worship. All of these things Maryam (AS) excels in. So it is not just cause she was the mother of a prophet.

Her story starts of Ibaadah (worship) and she was dedicated to Allah SWT even before she was born.