Chapter 3: Choices

We arrive at the barn just before sunset. It is the first one I have watched away from the plantation, and it defines beauty in a way that my words will never be able to. Brilliant reds and oranges dance across the horizon, the light trickling in between the clouds in just the right way. My eyes hurt to look at it as long as I do, but I decide it is far more tragic for me to look away. I'd stay here forever if not for the urgency of the situation I'm in. This time yesterday, I was being tied to the post in Jackson Plantation after a hard day's work. The sun was not so beautiful then, and yet it is somehow the same one I have looked at all my life.

Lucien introduces me to the rest of the party. They have already been through much, and I acknowledge that I've been relatively lucky.

First, there is Mary Lou. A silent, nine year old whose grief-stricken eyes tell a story all of their own. When I reach my hand out to hers to shake hands, she flinches and pulls back; as if afraid I'll hit her. My heart immediately goes out to her, and I feel the need to protect her. Her sister Abigail is a year younger than I who seems to laugh at everything despite her circumstances. Oscar, who is around 25, is covered in scars on his back and arms. He has had chains around his ankles recently that have eaten into his flesh. He seems to wince with every step. He rarely speaks and doesn't tell us where he's from, but I respect it and leave him alone. John and Cora are a couple in their forties and tell me they lost their only son en route.

Lastly are the twins Tom and Isaac, both 19. My eyes immediately focus on Tom's. They seem to twinkle in amusement, and they are warm and welcoming. His laugh is barky and loud, somehow cheering up the worry-stricken room. His hair is shaggy and unkempt, but somehow I can't imagine it being well groomed. Though he is twins with Isaac, I immediately notice a difference. Isaac's eyes, unlike his brother's, are hard and cold, his head shaven and his lips pressed into a firm line. His jawline is hard and pronounced, making him appear strict and strong. He seems suspicious of me, and I can't look at him too long before getting uncomfortable and turning away.

I quickly decide that I like John. He is protective and would do anything to save his wife Cora. I never really knew my father. He died when I was young. I didn't need to though; because I know he was strong and brave and sacrificed himself for my family. His integrity is far greater than those who killed him, and yet they are alive and he lies buried among thousands of his kind. Such is the world. Accept it or leave it.

After a quick meal of bread and cold beans, Lucien and Wally come to give us the plan. I give Lucien a smile as silent thanks, but it drops from my face when I see the worry written in his eyes. Something is wrong.

"Alright folks, listen up! The welcome party is over. This group is too big to stick together for too long. We've got to get moving and now; Isaac here says he thinks one of us," Wally quickly glances at me, "may have been followed."

I glare at Isaac coldly, but his piercing gaze is enough to divert my attention back to Wally, who clears his throat before he continues.

"Lucien was able to acquire train tickets to Tennessee, a safe distance from Mississippi that should definitely buy you the time you need to escape your pursuers. Once you're there, you'll be secretly taken to a farm where an old lady by the name of Janice will hide you for a few days. She is a trustworthy host that has been our aid for years. Treat her with respect, and she will reward you with your safety."

"This is good then!" says Cora enthusiastically, "we're going to make it."

Lucien frowns deeply. "Unfortunately, der ees...a problem wit our plan."

"What do you mean?" asks Abigail worriedly, bringing her sister to her lap and cuddling her as if she can protect her from whatever news is about to be delivered.