Chapter 26: The Sweet Taste of Defeat

Hey there my beautiful readers! (: I am so sorry about my inactivity in the past month, but I needed some time to reshape a Game of Colours to make it better for all of us :3 You may have noticed that Chapter 26 went down a few weeks, as it was almost completely rewritten! I hope you like this modified version, and enjoy!

Recap

Isaac climbs down effortlessly and turns to face us with a murderous gleam in his eyes.

"You alright?" he asks me.

I nod.

"Great."

I watch Isaac's fist collide with Jarrah's nose.

* * *

Jarrah recoils, grabbing his nose painfully.

"Why, you little-" begins an officer, but Jarrah sticks his arm out and holds him back.

"No," says Jarrah quickly, "we can't hurt him. He's wanted unharmed. His Massah will deal with him when he's back in chains."

The officers sneer at Jarrah. "Who's side are you on, mate? Give the filth what's coming to him!" The first officer grabs Isaac's arms and holds him back, while the other proceeds to kick him in the gut in anger.

"Slaves or not, you swine oughtn't be allowed on American land, making us herd you like lazy sheep running from the flock. Dumber than stock, I tell you, at least the animals stay in their fences."

I wince when Isaac does, every painful blow flooding me with guilt. They wouldn't have found him if I didn't go back for Jarrah, who's now standing worriedly to the side.

Stop them! Make them listen to you! I think as I glare at Jarrah.

"F**ck you, and f**ck every last one of you white-faced cows," growls Isaac, interrupted by a firm punch to the neck that silences him.

"Shut up or be shut down, I always say. You could learn a few things, lad. Aaron, bind him and let's take them in."

The other officer grabs Isaac's wrists firmly, and wraps a thick rope around them. Isaac's face is borderline savage, and he stares at me in disgust.

"How could you just let them take-" he begins, and I shake my head.

"It doesn't matter. Just do what he says and we'll be fine, " I whisper, hoping he'll understand what I'm trying to tell him.

Jarrah turns to the officers. "Your services are much appreciated, lads. We'll be on our way now."

"Not so fast." An officer grabs Isaac firmly. "You know, I could make a year's wages just selling this slave."

Jarrah frowns. "Aye, but he's already owned by the Whitley family. I suggest you take up your income issues with him then."

The officer grunts. "You still haven't proved Mr. Whitley sent you."

"Proof?" frowns Jarrah.

"Aye. A warrant. Papers signed by him, or even a judge. Something. If you can't give me that, 'mfraid we'll have to take them from here."

"Take the-you can't take them. I caught them and I have the right to give them up to authorities when I please."

"Well, if you don't give them to us now, we can charge you for deliberately keeping fugitive slaves from the authorities up to a 1000 dollar fine. Besides, your job is to catch the slaves, and you've caught them. Is there a problem?"