Chapter 23: The Past (part 2 - impractical ability)

Chapter 23: The Past (part 2 – impractical ability)

A few seconds of silence filled the air. Unconscious people in the grandhall still remain unconscious. One of the two knights who was stabbed by Andy a while ago, who seemed to be losing his consciousness immediately attended by Valen. Edward stayed alert and allowed Valen to treat him before it’s too late. Mia stayed on her seat, watching Valen as she treated the knight. Valen did not want Mia to interrupt the treatment, she thought of what to say, of what to ask, but Valen cannot afford to ask about her ability. It seemed that Mia did not mind Valen treating the knight, or perhaps Mia was deep in her thoughts, possibly thinking of the past...she continued her story.

“I was raised by Leina, a servant. Before I reached the age of ten, father at least checked on me from time to time; though compared to me, he had more time for Elen. Your mother already showed great potential at a very young age, that was why people, including my father, seemed to care for her than me, they highly anticipate her abilities to surface – they thought that she could probably be the exceptional one. I remembered their faces of disappointment when they realized she was not the chosen one.” Mia smirked, she looked pleased after finishing her sentence.

“Only Leina cared for me, telling me that my father loved me. However, as I reached the age of ten, then Elen reached age seven - Elen’s first ability surfaced, it was also the time mine appeared, though mine was oblivious to them. They noticed that Elen’s prepared medicine has minimal to no side effects. Days after, they learned of my ability...Leina stopped taking care of me, father stopped checking on me, people and servants whispered everytime I walked pass them. They are ignorant fools!”

Valen finished tending the knights injuries,  then she noticed that there seemed to be tears forming on Mia’s eyes. Deep inside Valen, she felt sadness, she felt pity, though she thought Mia probably would not want her to feel that way. She probably did not want anyone to feel pity for her.

“Those fools were whispering behind my back - some looked at me with abhorrence, some looked at me with pity eyes, including Leina. They were whispering that I am no good healer, that I would not be able to heal anyone. As the first daughter of the most influential and powerful couple of Milen and being a full-blooded one, I am a total disappointment.” Mia started to look angry again.

Edward was already curious to know what this shameful ability may be. He could not think of any ability that may be considered impractical. However, same as Valen, he could not directly ask what kind of ability it was. Mia seemed to be in a “mood” to tell her story. He thought that it was not a good idea to disrupt her.

“Compared to the outstanding, gifted, lovely Elen, I was unable to control my useless ability; if I could, the reaction I could have received from those people perhaps were not that extreme. Being the king and queen’s daughter too, made a very huge impression - the expectations were so high that it reached the stars. As if I sought after this ability, as if anyone can control what kind of ability one will have.....” Mia paused, then she sighed, then sneered.