{ Chapter 23 }

My fog of sleep was awoken by my alarm, Avery waking up not long after. The other girls were still fast asleep. I flicked on the lamp by my bed, and a soft glow emitted from it. Avery opened the curtain by her window and revealed the grey dawn outside, contrasting sharply with the bright, rich grass that surrounded the campus. The shower was going, so I assumed Izzy was back from her practice. If I ever made the national team, I would have to be ready to practice that early every day. The thought filled me with both excitement and dread.

   I tugged on a pair of fawn breeches and a red polo. A look at the weather, which didn't plan on going past 65°, had me grabbing my black pullover sweater and throwing it over my polo. What the heck Kentucky? It's September for god's sake. I tied my hair into a French braid, pinning the end under itself. After eating a Cliff bar from my stash and brushing my teeth, I waited till Avery came out. I took the time to answer a few texts and scroll through Instagram to catch up. My friends back home were enjoying the school year. There were posts from games, mini trips, and of course, the parties. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a party or two, but never ones from our school. Much of the party throwers and goers were notorious for copious amounts of alcohol on tap and creating school-wise scandals. Forgive me if I sound like a snob, but I'd rather spend time with people who are actually good for me than get into trouble, even if that means not many friends. My hometown was a breeding ground for social scandals thanks to the old style southern way of life.

   Eventually, Avery emerged from the bathroom. She had donned grey breeches and a powder blue zip up. We had to tiptoe around the other girls crashed out on our floor to get to the door. After putting, "gone to lessons- Avery and Savannah" on the door's whiteboard, we gently closed the door and went to the stables.

Upon entry, we walked quietly through the aisles so we didn't disturb the sleeping horses on the other teams. Grabbing our equipment from our lockers, we headed back to our respective stalls to get ready. After setting my stuff down on the racks, I went back to ask Avery something, and stopped short.

Kennedy's stall was open, and I could hear a low voice. Craning a little further, I saw her in Apollo's stall, talking softly to the gelding and stroking his head and neck. He was a beautiful horse, no doubt about it. I even could see a slight smile on Kennedy's normally impassive face. You can say what you want about Kennedy, but she's the real deal. Teams like her and Apollo don't happen at the snap of a finger. They clearly had a special bond. I quickly grabbed what I needed and walked back down to my respective stall area. After my normal routine, I plopped my helmet on and led Rega into the arena. After warming up the sleepy fog off of her, Avery and Daniel ambled in. Avery and Clover seemed to be in a slight funk this morning, as the normally mellow gelding was fighting her every step of the way.

"Oh for the love of God, this is not the time Clover!" Avery chided. I felt bad, but I couldn't help but laugh at his antics. By the time everyone wandered in with their horses, he had settled down. Mr. Watts and Ms. Brandt strolled in.

   "Good morning fellow horse people. We had intended to bring you guys out to the cross country trail, but the rain had another ideas. However, we have a show on the way, and you guys need to be completely polished. On that note, let's get to work. On the rail at a sitting trot please". Everything was scrutinized. Everything. I had walked in pretty cold, but after 30 minutes of pure flatwork, I had a slight sheen of sweat across my forehead. They called us into the center and pulled some jumps into a course.

   "At Oak Hill, you'll be primarily jumping in the meter 20s to the meter 30s. For those of you who have competed there with us before, you know that we do well here. I expect the same again. For this course, I want you to first take this verticale. Next, you'll be onto the wall and from there tracking right to that double combination, which will set you up for this gate" Okay, sounded normal enough. "Track left into this triple and you'll finish with this small cross rail." Huh? Alright then coaches. "Jenny, why don't you go first?"