{ Chapter 9 }

"Guys? What's the deal?" They still didn't say anything, exchanging glances, almost debating on what to tell me. I was so confused. What could possibly cause them to be at such a loss for words. Whatever it was, it wasn't good.

"Kennedy...." Bianca started, trying to find accurate wording.

"Is a piece of work", Charlie finished.

"That's putting it mildly" Avery snorted. "If you thought Jenny was awful, that's nothing compared to what Kennedy's like. And they're friends to boot". I winced at the somewhat rocky start I had with Jenny yesterday. It's a good thing nothing escalated, especially with the horses around and in our care.

   "If I were you, I'd keep a safe distance from her, and your head down. That girl does NOT like to be shown up" Madeline warned me gravely. I frowned as I chewed my food. Why should this girl be given anymore leeway than anyone else? We had one common goal.

   "Okay, I get the gist, but why should we give her any more distance? I mean, we've all had to deal with mean girls to get here. We all had to work hard to get here". I was puzzled as to why they would let this girl walk all over them. They all gave me sad smiles.

   "Savannah, there's truth to what you're saying, but the other truth is this: you're here on scholarship, which means you understand more than any of us that we had to work hard to be here. But you're here on scholarship, which means you've likely worked harder than any of us, and it means you have talent and skill. Kennedy won't hesitate to feel threatened by that" Avery said, putting her hand on my shoulder. "Jenny will do anything to make sure you get targeted if Kennedy doesn't see to it herself".

I hadn't really thought about that. I didn't really want to be hyper aware that I was here on scholarship, but now I realized that would change a lot of how people see me. Oh boy, this is going to get interesting....

~~~~~~

Later that afternoon, we were sitting back in our dorm. I was sorting through my riding gear on the floor by my closet. I would inevitably be doing laundry at least once a week for riding clothes alone. Avery was on her bed scrolling around on her laptop. I was my putting my bin back under my bed when Avery spoke up.

   "Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out earlier. I just really don't want you to have any beef with her. Anyone who does could be considered a dead man there and then. She's competitive almost to a fault". I looked up and she was looking over at me, her large brown eyes showing worry. I stood up and walked over to her side of the room and sat on the edge of her bed.

   "It's okay. I appreciate you looking out for me though. Not everyone would be this eager to help out a newbie." I patted her leg. I was really warming up to Avery, and it had barely been a day. It was like what I had with Delaney back home.

"Moving on, what do you want to do for dinner tonight? We could eat in the dining hall or there's a couple restaurants on campus that I've been dying to take you to" she said with a devious smile. That could either be good or bad. Eh, now that I'm somewhat on my own, a little improvising would likely be necessary.

"Why not try something new? What's the first one you want to go to?" I asked, matching her smile. She shut her laptop down and closed the lid.

"It's a little French bistro called Petite Ville. It translates to 'little town'. Everything there has a bit of an elegant Beauty and the Beast theme. They even have a dish of 'the grey stuff'. It's run by one of the alumni. You down?" She asked, after a long winded explanation.

"Alright, let's go. Although we should probably change because the weather looks like it's clouding up on us". I changed into a pair of dark wash jeggings, a pair of clean of paddock ankle boots in case it really DID rain, and threw my black waterproof windbreaker over my t-shirt. Avery put on a pair of training sweats over her shorts and threw on a pair of older sneakers and also donned a windbreaker.

   After a quick walk involving the wind wrapping our hair around our faces and about what seemed to be a 10° drop in temperature. Finally, we made it to the frosted and stain glass doors of the restaurant. Upon entry, I was blown away by the little place. Every table had a fake rose under a glass jar, just like in the west wing. The walls were a dark brick and there were elements all over the restaurant that put you in a Beauty and the Beast feeling.

"Well if it isn't Ms. Destin. How ya doin this evening?" a tall girl with an athletic build with a surprisingly elven face came up behind us. Her thick black hair was in an updo that framed her suntanned, freckled face. Her green eyes had flecks of gold in them and displayed warmth and inquisitiveness.

"Not too shabby Evie. Table for two please?" Avery said brightly. She came around the side of the hostess booth with two menus. Evie was wearing a black t-shirt with a rose outline printed in metallic gold and the restaurant logo and jeans under your typical black hostess apron.

"Hold on there, speedy Gonzalez. Who's your friend here?". I was beginning to detect a certain amount of southern hospitality in her demeanor.

"I'm Savannah Bells. Nice to meet you" I said, smiling shyly. This girl was very intimidating, despite being very easy going.

"I'm Evie Adams. Judging by the fact you're hanging around with this crazy girl, you're a fellow horse person" she laughed. Another woman came out, her face almost a perfect replica of Evie's, but this woman was shorter and thinner, pale cornsilk hair tied back just above her neck. Her face had subtle, soft lines that detailed a deeper past than one could comprehend on her sunny, simple face.

"You know you're due for your break soon sugar. Why don't you eat with your friends here? Her voice was soothing and gentle. She led us back to a secluded table in the corner of the space. Evie gave her mom a quick squeeze. We chorused out with "thanks momma" and a polite "thank you ma'am".

"Oh Savannah, you can call me Georgia, although I do prefer 'mom'" she said with a wink. "Now what can I get you to drink?" Avery, Evie, and I got sweet teas. Nothing like true southern sweet tea. After our drinks arrived, we ordered beef ragout all around. I was told it was to die for.

"So Savannah, you might as well know now that Evie here was a fellow horse person. One of the best Silver Hawk has ever had". Evie's face flushed slightly at the praise.

"I don't know about the BEST- " "A good portion of those trophies in Mr. Watts' office were won largely in thanks to you". Evie took a sip and set her tea down on the table with an amused grin.

"Yeah, and judging by what I saw your freshman year, you're going to get some in there as well. And I bet you, Savannah, are not to be outdone as well". I just met this girl and, like Avery, I liked her already. They had magnetic personalities that made me feel like I was back home. Georgia brought our food to us and we dug in. Evie, Avery, and I continued on bonding and sharing horsey tales over the course of our careers. Everything from thrills to spills.

~~~~~~~~~

Having finished our meal, Georgia and Evie surprised us by deciding to pick up the tab. I was overwhelmed and surprised by their generosity, so I slipped a twenty out of my wallet and under our plates. I tried to protest their paying one last time.

"Sweetie, it's no trouble. You're family now. And besides, Evie here has to work a double shift tomorrow, so it butters her up for tomorrow". Evie began to squawk and protest playfully at her mother. With that we said our goodbyes and left. As soon as we stepped into the threatening twilight, the rain poured down on us. We both tossed up our hoods and sprinted back to Kentwood Hall. After we made it into the elevator we both dropped our hoods and shook ourselves out. Looking at each other, we just busted out into laughter at our sopping wet states.

Once we got in our dorm, we dried off and got into warm, fluffy pajamas. Then we shut off the lights and plugged the old Kindergarten Cop in. I could never get past Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Kimble. Avery and I sat in comfortable silence as the movie continued on. Eventually, the credits rolled and I shut off the TV. We drifted off into a deep sleep.

Sorry for the long wait guys. Summer work combined with writers' block postponed the publishing of this chapter.