Ch. 13: THE END

This will be the last chapter in this book :( I have so many ideas for other books playing in my head. I want to thank mysticoed because you gave me an idea for finishing this book :) comment below on who you'd like the next book to be about. Colton Parayko (Blues) or Jake Debrusk (Bruins). Also the Pause is referenced in this chapter, I'm making up a lot on what is going on after the Pause since obviously at this time we have no idea what is going to happen, I'm going with what is CURRENTLY most likely? Maybe? Hopefully? I miss hockey so much.
Nov 20, 2020: The last 9 months have been insane. The league shut down due to a virus that killed a ton of people and shut down the world, leaving everyone in the NHL wondering what the hell was going to happen about the season and the cup. Every player in the league knew that this was bigger than hockey, and took the pause in stride. Andre and I had stayed in Denver for awhile, all players had to quarantine, and then he had flown back to Sweden after a few weeks and I had flown back to Washington to stay with my family. We hadn't thought it would last as long as it did, but we ended up being apart for roughly 4 months, but we had facetimed and texted every day. When the league had resumed in July they gave the players 2 weeks to train and try and get back into game shape before games resumed. Most teams had about 12 games left before playoffs. Playoffs had lasted into mid September, we made it to the finals but ultimately came up short. From then it was a crazy whirlwind of activity and emotions as everyone quickly tried to draft, resign and have training camp. They had pushed back the start of the 20-21 season, and tonight was the Avalanche's first game at home.
 I'm currently sitting in my bathroom, knees up to my chest and my face buried in my hands. Janell who had flown in with the Capitals, they were the first matchup for the year, was sitting on the toilet across from me. I jumped when my timer buzzed. I picked up the little white stick that was sitting on the counter and counted to 3 before turning it over. The word PREGNANT stared back at me. Janell took the stick from my fingers when I started to shake and wrapped her arms around me and pulling me up from the floor.
  "Chels, its okay. Breathe." she rubbed my back gently as I started to cry. I had always wanted kids, and I know Andre would make a fantastic dad, but with everything that had been going on over the last few months, I know he is stressed out and I'm not entirely sure how hes going to take the news. Janell sat with me until I finally calmed down and caught my breath and then she jumped into plans on how to tell Andre. I nodded along but didn't really pay much attention until she asked me if I liked the plan.
  "I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention." I apologized and she nodded.
  "Look, how about I'll go get the stuff for the surprise and you stay here and get a nap in or something. We have a few hours before we have to head to the rink and Andre is hanging with Tom after practice so you'll have some time to yourself." I nodded and she kissed my forehead before grabbing her purse and keys and leaving in a blur. I climbed the steps to my room and grabbed one of Andre's shirts out of the top drawer of my dresser and threw it on, smiling because it smelled like him still even though I had washed it a couple times. I fell asleep almost instantly but my dreams were chaotic. I was scared Andre would be mad about the baby, but I prayed he wouldn't be. We had talked about getting married and having kids a couple times, but we were willing to wait since we were young and had just started dating a year ago.
 Janell came back a short time later and I got up and got ready for the game. She walked into my room with a bag and handed it to me, and I reached inside and smiled. It was a pair of mini skates and a Avalanche jersey with 'DADDY 95' on the back. She had also bought a shirt for Andre and I that said 'Mommy to be' and 'Daddy to be' and a little shirt that said '#1 draft pick 2039'
  "You got too much." I laughed but she just shook her head.
  "I went a little crazy because the team store was full of wayy too many cute things." I smiled and put everything in the bag except the 'mommy to be' shirt which I put on underneath my jersey. She helped me finish getting ready and then we headed to the rink.
 When the game ended I felt like I was going to throw up I was so nervous. Andre and I were meeting up with the Capital's team for dinner and I was going to tell him there, since I wanted my friends to know as well. We got to the resturaunt and I sat between Andre and Janell, who had the bag in her giant purse, and she grabbed my hand when I started figeting.
  "You're going to make him think something is up if you don't calm down." she whispered to me and I nodded and took a deep breath. Tom looked at me from across the table and made a face. I shook my head and mouthed 'in a minute'. When everyone had taken a seat and ordered food, Janell stood up and everyone looked at her.
  "To celebrate an amazing opening night, Chels got Andre a gift." she handed Andre the bag and he looked at me confused but took the bag from her. I smiled at him shyly and he opened the bag and his mouth fell open.
  "Are you serious?" he asked and I couldn't tell if he was mad or happy so I just nodded. He took the jersey out and showed the table, then the little shirt, and finally his 'daddy to be' shirt and the skates. The whole table was quiet but smiling when Andre turned to me and he had a massive smile across his face. I breathed a sigh of relief when he pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around me and kissed me.
  "We're gonna be parents?" he asked and I nodded, tears rolling down my cheeks.
 When we got back to my house later, we sat on the couch and Andre pulled my hands into his lap.
  "Why did you look so scared to tell me?"
  "I wasn't sure how you would react. I didn't want you to be mad at me."
  "Why would I be mad at you? We were both a part of making this baby for one, and I've always wanted to be a dad and I couldn't imagine having anyone else by my side to raise our babies. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, sure we wanted to wait before we had kids and got married, but sometimes life throws you some curveballs but we're going to be fine and I promise you I will be here for you every step of the way. I will make sure you never feel like I didn't want this." I leaned in and kissed him deeply.
  "I love you so much Andre."
  "I love you too Chels. Forever."