Prologue

Note: First and foremost I want everyone to know that I am crossposting this from where it was originally posted on Tumblr (queenxxxsupreme) but since then has also been posted to AO3 (queenxxxsupreme) Second, Darceria's name is pronounced Dar-sare-ree-uh. Zephyrina's name is pronounced Zeh-free-na. Darceria hails from Romavek which I made up for the purpose of this story because it no longer exists which we will learn why later while Zephyrina is from Verden, an actual place in the Witcher world. It's a kingdom in the northern part of the Continent bordered by Brokilon to the north and Cintra to the south. Also for the timeline, just this chapter takes place before Geralt meets Yennefer or claims the Law of Surprise on Ciri. This only applies to this chapter. I will update you on the time line as we progress. Thnx for coming to my Ted Talk:) Sorry I'm talking so much. I just don't want anyone to be confused. For those of you like me who haven't read the books or played the games, some things such as locations not mentioned in the story or other little things that I've found on the internet about the Witcher can get confusing so I'm trying to explain it as best as I can. I promise these won't be so long in the future. Feedback is welcomed as always

{1253-Ten Years Before The Fall Of Cintra}
{Winiford, located outside of Temeria}

Music filled the large ballroom, nearly drowning out the sounds of laughter and conversation. In the center of the room, people were dancing cheerfully, joyfully, celebrating the death of the Alp that had been causing carnage throughout Winiford. The creature had taken the lives of nearly two dozen citizens, including a four-old-boy.

Around what was considered the area for dancing were tables filled with guests from all over the city, all of whom were privileged to be inside Lord Amaury's mansion. The reclusive lord very rarely threw parties or invited anyone into his estate. Now that he had finally opened his home up for a party, the city was taking in everything. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming, a stark contrast to the raging blizzard outside of the mansion.

Darceria tapped her nails against the silver chalice in front of her, listening to every little thing happening in the gigantic room. Three chairs down from her, Lord Amaury's booming laughter made her flinch. Though he had a reputation for not being a big party person, he sure was enjoying this one.

Darceria was small in stature, but her posture was perfect and the look on her face was firm as she kept her head straight. Dark red curls neatly framed her head. Her jaw was sharply defined beneath ivory skin. In the center of her face was a thin and delicate nose, and on either side of her nose were two white eyes that had long since lost their color.

"I see the witcher." Zephyrina hummed quietly, knowing Darceria could hear her. The two woman sat a few seats apart, having been split up by rowdy knights who had hoped to get Zephyrina's attention. She was a stunning woman with warm honey skin and ebony hair that fell down her back in pin-straight strands. Her nose was just slightly up-turned and thick dark lashes rested upon pink cheeks. Her chocolate almond shaped eyes were attached to the two men who had just entered the room.

Zephyrina turned her head, hoping to see her readheaded friend but instead seeing a burly bearded man watching her with hungry eyes. She smiled tightly at him before leaning back in her chair to look at Darceria.

"Should I make myself known to them?"

"They'll come to you." Darceria shook her head. She felt someone push themselves away from the table. It was Lady Rika, Amaury's wife. Darceria waited a few heartbeats before standing herself. She swatted a hand away that reached out to try to help her.

"Do you need assistance, m'lady?" The man to her left asked her.

"No, I don't." She answered him firmly, taking the skirt of her navy blue dress in her hands as she stepped away from the table.