Born With A Wooden Spoon

No, I was not that fortunate to be born with a silver spoon. Perhaps if I was born with a silver spoon and held on to it, I would not be writing this story. I was born in the mid-70s. I have a younger brother who was born on National Day.

My father worked as a supervisor in a timber sawmill factory while my mum worked in the same factory as an accountant. Although my mum complained about my father's gambling habit, we all knew how diligent my father was at work and how much he loved the family.

Although my father was not earning big bucks, life was pretty comfortable with my parents' income and with my father driving us around in his lorry. Okay, it was the company's lorry. I just loved sitting in that lorry and travelling around. When I was in Primary One, my father would pick me up with his lorry, something I looked forward to after school.

One day, as I was dashing to the school gate ready to hop onto the green lorry, it was not in sight. My father then showed me his new blue car. He then explained to me that he was given a promotion and was also rewarded with a new company car! However, I was not delighted by this surprise at all. I missed the lorry and I hopped onto the car reluctantly.

A promotion and a reward, it was good news for him, sad news for me, and bad news which followed. Bad news with an unfortunate incident which would change the fate of my family totally......