IV: Burrito

"So...?" he looks at her expectantly, biting his lips as he waits for her reply.

"It's amazing," Azlin moans out, unable to hold back her delight at how delicious the cheesy burrito felt on her mouth. Ben laughs at her reaction.

"Told ya you'll love it."

"Oh I certainly do." They laugh once again as they continue walking. Fortunately, the path they are taking is a considerably safe neighborhood where everyone tends to mind their own business, so they can walk and talk freely without worrying about their safety or anyone recognizing Ben.

"Sorry if we have to walk, by the way. The convertible's a bit too flashy so I kinda only use it on parties or social occasions...." He timidly scratches his cheek. "But come to think of it, it might have been a better idea to just have brought it, knowing you must be tired already and..." 

"No, it's okay. This is actually better." Azlin smiles reassuringly. "My mind seems to have been too occupied lately anyway, so I really needed a breather."

Azlin looks up at the starless sky and indeed, this view in contrast to the white walls of the studio does take her mind off of the art exhibit even just for a while. Ben visibly relaxes. "Yes, and this way we have more time together."

Azlin would have blushed first, but she notices his ears going red already--a sign of him getting embarrassed and partly regretting what he just mindlessly said--so she automatically laughs instead.

"By the way, what were you doing at your studio so late at night?" He clears his throat and changes the topic, casually sipping from his drink.

"The studio's not mine," she corrects. "The gallery is nice enough to give me a free space in their studio where I can work. I've been cooped up in there ever since I started that I'm starting to consider just moving there instead." She laughs. "But it might not be a good idea because to be honest, I haven't been too productive in there."

Her smile disappears as thoughts about the exhibit flood into her once again. 

"I'm actually having some trouble with a piece I'm trying to make... In fact, I haven't even started yet. I just... I just have no ideas." She sighs in frustration. "And I'm worried that I might not be able to do it on time. A piece like this would typically take me around two to three weeks to finish--maybe even more--and yet I've already wasted days without even so much as a rough sketch. The exhibit's just a month away and I'm running out of time."

"A month?" Ben asks in surprise, and Azlin soullessly nods as she bites into her burrito.

"Well, have you ever heard of the expression 'the tighter you squeeze, the less you will have'?"

She pauses as she looks up in thought. "Isn't that 'the tighter you squeeze, the more sand will slip through your fingers' or something?"

"Well, yeah, basically the same thing." He cringes. "Anyway, the point is the more you stress yourself, the more distracted you'll become and the less you actually come up with something. Artist or not, everyone needs to relax and distract themselves every now and then. Heck, chat me up when you need so! I'll be willing to distract you."

He smiles cheekily, making Azlin laugh and shake her head in amusement. "Well yeah, as if you're not busy then."

"I will respond one way or another," he defends. "Come on, put some faith in me Azlin. That's what friends are for!"

Azlin slows down to a stop. She stares at Ben incredulously, and he stares back in confusion.

"What? Why? Did I say something wrong?"