Kissing Frogs

Kissing Frogs

Running, it was a habit that she began to develop after the war, needing something to distract her from her thoughts and often times, nightmares.  At first she started running at night, but as the nightmares faded away and sleep came easier, she began to run during the day, liking the feeling of her feet pounding the pavement, her breaths in tandem with her feet and the occasional feel of the wind caressing her hair. 

It was also such a muggle thing to do. To just run.  And after the war, she wanted to connect back to her muggle roots, to really defy all those that had despised her and her heritage.

!

Draco sighed as he drove his car down the muggle road.  Yes, car, because after the war, he and his family had been put on probation. They hadn’t been able to use magic other than in their own house and at occasional moments such as his training to become a Healer, Potions and Charms having been his best subjects at Hogwarts. 

But that year, they couldn’t apparate anywhere and the floo network was restricted.  After a few times of visiting Goyle in the muggle world. His friend, who after the death of Crabbe and his parents’ imprisonment, had been lost, had retreated to the muggle world, to escape the prejudice towards them, all the former Death Eaters, even the children of them,  in order to find a temporary haven.

Draco had his first real encounter with a muggle car on his third trip to see his old classmate.  After getting into one and driving one day when curiousity had gotten the best of him, he had found that in the car, he felt in control.  Really in control, for the first time in so long. He didn’t have an Auror coming down to breathe down his back, checking to see if he was still obeying the rules and not going back to his Death Eater ways. 

He ran a hand through his blonde hair as he thought back to just minutes ago.  Goyle was getting married.  To a muggle girl no less. Who knew that the haven that Goyle had been seeking would be in the form of a muggle? He was still trying to wrack his brain around it when a runner crossed the street.  Draco’s eyes widened before he slammed on his brakes. 

!

“Protego!” Hermione yelled as she wandlessly casted a shield charm.  Unfortunately without her wand, it wasn’t as powerful and the impact of the car against her charm, sent her flying backwards.

Draco recovered from the whiplash, only to blink as he thought he heard 'Protego' of all things.  Wait, did that mean? He hurriedly opened his door. 

 “Granger?” He said shocked when he saw that of all people, it was Hermione Granger that was spawled on the road.  Oh bloody hell, he just almost hit Hermione Granger. And what the hell was she wearing? The top barely covered enough of her to be decent, and most of her stomach could be seen.

Hermione looked up sharply for some reason recognizing the voice.  Her jaw dropped when she saw Draco Malfoy, Malfoy of all people, in front of her.  Standing beside the open door of the same car that had nearly hit her!

“You! It was you!” Hermione yelled not really thinking her words thoroughly.  Her expression fell though to replaced with confusion.  “What?” She said as she couldn’t help but wonder what the hell was Draco Malfoy doing in her parents' muggle neighborhood and driving a muggle car of all things. 

Draco honestly had no idea what to do.  But seeing her like that, he began to walk towards her. 

Hermione tried to scramble up, but was unable to by the time Malfoy’s long strides made it to her.

“Don’t touch me!” Hermione snipped as she noticed that Malfoy’s hand was reaching towards her. 

“Believe me Granger, the last thing I want to do is to touch you too, but right now, I have to check if you’re okay.”